Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,761   Online: 955

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too usually use D-76, but you can use T-max for other B&W film. You can find charts on development for T-Max.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That wasn't Ritz Camera, was it? Sounds like their level of stupidity.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

most time i used d-76.
    my new "good thing" is fx-39

really good negs. a little bit hard butalso a nice tonality. it´s a relative new developer for me. but i only needed 2 films for testing and to find out which way it works at the best for me.

analog greetings

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I always thought HC-100 was a relatively grainier developer..? If so, not a good choice for a fine-grain film like TMax.

I also like the TMax developer for its relatively short developing times... 7.5 minutes for TMax100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The short development time afforded by TMax developer is one of the reasons I don't like it. Instead of 68F (20C), I run my process at 75F (24C) and that speeds things up a bit. A 7 1/2 minute development time at 68F turns into 5 1/2 minutes at 75F, and that's too fast. Small timing errors turn into a significant part of the total development time.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the stuff if it works for you. It is a heck of a lot more expensive than D-76, and I don't think it does anything better. Even with super speed films like Delta 3200 or TMZ, I don't see much of an advantage unless you're pushing the film past 3200.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did mean Tri-X. Sorry for the confusion :-)

Thanks everyone for the info. The camera store is a locally-owned store in Charlotte, NC, called Camera World. I am probably going to give up on them since they never seem to have what I need in stock; one week they are out of Kodak fixer, one week they're out of Dektol, and the other day they were out of D-76. That prompted my question of T-Max developer. I didn't buy any since I have a fresh bottle of Arista developer I haven't opened yet.

So, what developer do you guys recommend that works well with most films? I use Arista 400 (Agfa) in 35mm, Arista EDU Ultra in 200 and 400 speeds, Ilford Delta 3200, and Ilford HP5. I am liking the Arista developer, but I want to try some more developers so I can find one I really like. I feel like now is the time since I've developed 7 or so rolls with no developing errors.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the most part, I use D-76 and XTOL. Can't beat 'em with a stick. One thing is sure, if you go chasing around looking for a magic bullet, you'll never find it. There are none to be found. If the Arista developer you're using is Arista-76, you can bet that it's gonna be a D-76 clone. It's economical, predictable, and works well with just about everything.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not the Arista-76, it's Arista Premium. Comes in a bottle, concentrate form.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin