Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,561   Online: 1157

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    First time I heard about them. Bookmarked their page next to Freestyle, in my photo suppliers folder. Just hope they have a decent shipping to Canada.

Happy to see such prices, and also happy too to get a first confirmation to my prediction, made several months ago, concerning the film surviving: since most pros did switch to digital, film relies today on a majority of passionate amateurs, students included. And this should bring the price down to about $2 for a 135/24 roll. These people shut for pure pleasure and/or artistic interests, and do not make a living from sailing photographs, so they are not ready to pay higher prices on supplies. But they are the majority of today’s film shutters.
    Moreover, there’s the price competition with digital shutting that counts too in maintaining the film market alive.
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Jim (and all). Actually, I just moved to California, have been here for about 1 month now. Working on getting a practice going in the Bay Area (Novato).
    I'm in an apartment now, and thinking about where I can make a darkroom. :-)
    I'll have to send you a PM off forum in awhile when I get some time.

Just might have to try some of this film - it is a good price and with starting my own business, everything counts these days!

Jed

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    i spoke to photowarehouse today about this news
    they said in about 90days it will all be a reality.

i wasn't able to figure out where the film was from
    but there aren't may film makers who make 100 and 400 speed films ...
    so either guess is a good one as far as i am concerned.
    i wonder if they will be getting master rolls of new fiber paper as well?

paul ... 35$ isn't much, it used to be a box of 100sheets of 4x5 film cut and notched for film holders.
    (when the next cheepest alternative was $60+)

i love photowarehouse!

john

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    First time I heard about them. Bookmarked their page next to Freestyle, in my photo suppliers folder. Just hope they have a decent shipping to Canada.
    I hope they've changed, but about 1.5 years ago I looked into shipping to Canada, and they had no prices to Canada listed, so I emailed them.

After a couple of repeated requests, I finally got a response from someone there, the prices weren't bad, but I also asked what kind of film it actually was and if they had a steady supply of it as I was trying to standardize at the time, and didn't want it to change on me. Communication stopped after that, so I guess they didn't want my business after all (Freestyle on the other hand has answered those questions in the past, with the exception of their most recent "Premium" films).
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ordered off the website some Agfa 400 film and 312 RC paper and a box of 4x5 Velvia 100f at the end of Aug, sent by mail to Calgary. It was at my house in about 2 weeks. Shipping costs were reasonable but I would guess about 10% more than Freestyle. I had no problems with communication but I did not ask any questions before placing the order - they emailed an order confirmation right after I placed the order although no further email. The status page link did not update the shipping status which would have been annoying if the order had taken longer in getting here.

I was happy with the service to Calgary and would buy again.

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've called photoware house earlier this week to ask about the film, though they did'nt give my any specific details they did say that neither their regular or "new" black and white films are made in the US.

The development times for the regular Ultrafine films seems to match the offerings from Foma. When I called to ask about their "plus" film they said the development times were the same for the "new" films to the regular ones. Not sure how accurate the information is since they put me on hold while the person talked it over with a co-worker.

If I were to take a wild guess I would lean towards Efke, like others have said in the thread not too many companies out there make 100 and 400 speed films. Unless We're all totally wrong and this film comes from China or somewhere else...

Images
    I just finished developing my first roll of the ISO 100 120 size. Over the phone, they suggested HC-110 dilution B at 5 minutes, so I used dulition H at 10 minutes. The negatives look a bit dense so I may cut the time back a bit.

The film has no identifying markings of any kind on the backing paper or the edges of the film itself. A google search on Shanghai photographic film, however, brought me to this site http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...0_B_W_100.html which looks exactly like the way the film from Ultrafine was packaged.

I will post some samples if any come out decently.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    paul ... 35$ isn't much, it used to be a box of 100sheets of 4x5 film cut and notched for film holders.
    (when the next cheepest alternative was $60+)

i love photowarehouse!

john
    true true, things are just a little tight these days. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll oreder some.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It appears only the ISO 100 film is available in 120 format. The 400 is 35mm only.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Images
    I shot a second roll of Ultrafine Plus 100 (120 size), developing it this time in F09 (Rodinal) 1+40 for 12 minutes. The negatives were considerably thinner than my previous attempt with HC-110 and much easier to print. The film is rather thin and the negatives do curl more than Tri-X and Plus-X, but not as much as Foma.

Here are some samples (scannned from the prints):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75758245@N00/3021198534/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/75758245@N00/3021198536/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/75758245@N00/3021198530/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/75758245@N00/3021198528/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/75758245@N00/3021198514/
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin