Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,322   Online: 935

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pschauss View Post
    I just finished developing my first roll of the ISO 100 120 size. Over the phone, they suggested HC-110 dilution B at 5 minutes, so I used dulition H at 10 minutes. The negatives look a bit dense so I may cut the time back a bit.

The film has no identifying markings of any kind on the backing paper or the edges of the film itself. A google search on Shanghai photographic film, however, brought me to this site http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...0_B_W_100.html which looks exactly like the way the film from Ultrafine was packaged.

I will post some samples if any come out decently.

I have never worked with Shanghai films but did order and shot some Ultrafine Plus 100. This films curls quite a lot which is not the case with Fomapan films. I did try to compare development times but there ain't much times given for Ultrafine Plus 100.

Concerning the shipping, it was just fine, even though I live in Canada.

Someone asked why 35$ as a minimum amount for ordering. If you consider the average price of the 100ft roll is 30$, it opens the door for ordering a second roll in the same transaction, which I did.

"The film is rather thin and the negatives do curl more than Tri-X and Plus-X, but not as much as Foma."
    I do agree: the film is amazingly thin and, as I said, curls quite a lot. Not Foma, almost sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    the film is amazingly thin and, as I said, curls quite a lot.
    Might be slit and perfed aero film - normally a 4mil mylar/estar base.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Might be slit and perfed aero film - normally a 4mil mylar/estar base.
    Since this film looks like no one else and since I have never worked with an aero film, I would not be surprised it could be the case...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    hi all...
    i have tried Ultrafine plus 100 too, and this is what I can say :
    thin film with a little bit purple & transparent-grey base color (its nearly same as "Lucky") ;
    after i develop it with home made paRodinal the clear area are totally clear, again its same as "Lucky" ;
    after i scan it the different between ultrafine & lucky are revealed , the ultrafine seem have "anti halation layer" that can make the result won't glow even I shot exactly to a lightsource (http://www.flickr.com/photos/muhacak...in/photostream).
    not like Lucky that usually glow if we shot exactly to a lightsource (http://www.flickr.com/photos/muhacak...in/photostream).

thats all i can say
    Last edited by muhacakep; 12-23-2011 at 12:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    where's the developing times for these films?

Could it be Fuji ?
    http://www.ultrafineonline.com/fidech1.html

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here a more complete chart where Ultrafine Plus 100 times are included. Click on the image to enlarge it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultrafine_plus_-_dev_chart.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	43342

Personally, I don't find that Ultrafine Plus 100 has that much of that purple base. On contrary, I find the base quite grey or transparent, although it curls quite a lot.

Did try to develop the film with Rodinal 1:100 (14 min at 68 F) - according to the Mass. Chart - and it looks like it ain't enough.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    Here a more complete chart where Ultrafine Plus 100 times are included. Click on the image to enlarge it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultrafine_plus_-_dev_chart.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	43342

Personally, I don't find that Ultrafine Plus 100 has that much of that purple base. On contrary, I find the base quite grey or transparent, although it curls quite a lot.

Did try to develop the film with Rodinal 1:100 (14 min at 68 F) - according to the Mass. Chart - and it looks like it ain't enough.
    ups...sorry..actually it just a little purple, or..maybe I just too subjective to equate ultrafine with lucky (as lucky has a little purple base too)
    i'll edit my comment below
    thanks for the corrections

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought a 5 roll pack of Ultrafine Plus 100 in 120 size, and compared it to some old rolls of J&C Pro 100. The J&C film had a 'firecracker' red inner wrapper and was widely considered to be Shanghai GP3, based mostly on the identical red inner wrapper and same black backing paper.

The Ultrafine film has a metallic silver colored plastic inner wrapper and same black backing paper as the old J&C film. I examined some narrow clips of each film. Both have a slightly purple gray emulsion area. The J&C film has a blue backing that leaves a blue tint in water if I give it a soak. The Ultrafine film doesn't seem to have any backing dye at all, and the back looks like the emulsion side. Soaking it in water doesn't leave any coloration in the water.

Based on this, I'm thinking the Ultrafine film may be Lucky 100. The rest of the description seems to fit. This could be useful if true, because there is a lot more developer info such as times and dilution for the Lucky film than there is for the Ultrafine. The box containing the five rolls has no information on country of manufacture or any expiration date.

I shot one roll at rated box speed in a mid-1930s Voigtlander Bessa with f4.5 Skopar in a Compur shutter that seems to be accurate. The scene was some tree trunks and bushes in direct sunlight, with some shaded areas and a few deeper shadows. The exposure was 1/100 sec at f16. The film was cut into short strips and developed in a homebrew PC-borax mixture at increasing times. My best negs were a little thin, but definitely looked underexposed for this scene. There was no fog. The sunlit objects looked good, the shaded areas had faint density, and the deeper shadows were blank. I shot another roll yesterday of the same scene at EI 25 and will see how that works.

I'm experimenting with an oddball developer, but thinking this film might work best with an EI a bit less than 100 in a 'normal' developer.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a couple of rolls a few months ago, seemed more like Forma, had the same blue tint the base.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    I bought a couple of rolls a few months ago, seemed more like Forma, had the same blue tint the base.
    The base of my batch, after developing and fixing, is clear with a very slight gray tint. It has a strong curl, too. I'm wondering if Ultrafine Plus might a generic label for any of several 100 speed films that might be available at discount at different times.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin