Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,488   Online: 904

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I was wondering if anyone knows if TF-4 is imported into the EU? Shipping from the US is quite expensive (customs duties in Sweden are levied on total cost which includes shipping charges). If not, does anyone know of a really good alternative to TF-4 (I was thinking about Amaloco x88 Odourless Fixer, any thoughts)?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    TF-4 is imported, you can buy it (and lots of other stuff) from monochrom in Germany.

I mostly use my own recipe, which is based on Sodium Thiosulfate and Ammonium Chloride. Works just as well, is lots cheaper, but slightly smelly.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't used TF-4 for the same reason. But there is an alternative that should be available in Europe. I can even get it here in Australia.

Agfa make FX-Universal, primarily for colour processing. But it is an excellent slightly alkaline fixer for B&W film and paper. Agfa has started labelling it with B&W dilutions here, but they don't promote it for this use with much energy. (The same could be said for their promotion of their other excellent B&W products, I think)

They suggest 1+6 for film, PE paper and baryta paper,
    and 1+5 for replenisher. Following are edited emails relating to its use for B&W (but I disagree with the need or desirability of acid stop bath because acid will make the fixer deteriorate and smell of SO2, but maybe not much):
    =========================================
    Anders Ocklind (miramax@algonet.se) responded to a message you left in the B&W Photo - Film & Processing bboard:
    Subject: Response to Formula for alkaline fixer
    You can buy alkaline fixer readymixed: Agfa Universal Fix (for Color C-41, but it works well).
    -----------------
    Anders Ocklind (miramax@algonet.se) responded to a message you left in the B&W Photo - Film & Processing bboard:
    Subject: Response to Formula for alkaline fixer
    I use Agfa Universal Fix (C-41) 1+4 for B&W films and the same for B&W paper. Substitute 20% of the volume with fresh fixer after each filmdeveloping.
    Paper:I use 2 bath method and measure the silvercontent with Kodak silverteststripes.
    Anders O
    ------------------
    Subject: FX Universal developer
    To: jjss@bigpond.net.au
    Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:53:31 +1000
    John
    The FX Universal can be used for Black & White papers at the following dilution,
    1 + 7. You will need to use a stop bath between the developer and the Fixer. The
    fixing time is the same as you would normally use for a normal, not rapid,
    fixing bath.
    Regards
    Trevor Prestwich
    Applications Technology Manager
    To: trevor.prestwich.tp@australia.agfa.com From: John Stockdale <jjss@bigpond.net.au> Subject: Re: FX Universal developer
    ------------------------
    Dear Trevor,
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply. This is a very interesting product- the only competition is the TF-4 from Photographers Formulary (USA), but freight to Australia makes it completely unattractive price-wise. Agfa could promote FX-Universal better; alkaline fixers have some indispensable benefits.
    Sorry to bother you again, but have you any info on its capacity for use with FB print material?
    Kind regards...........John Stockdale (Melbourne)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: Re: FX Universal developer
    To: jjss@bigpond.net.au
    Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:23:33 +1000
    John
    We generally don't advetise the FX Universal for B & W as we have two other
    fixers, MC & Agefix.
    The FX Universal will do aproximately 1.5 sq m of Fibre based papers per litre.
    Hope that you have success with it.
    Regards
    Trevor Prestwich
    Applications Technology Manager
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    And from a thread on rec.photo.darkroom, January 2003:
    I asked the service at Agfa and got an aswer from Wolfgang Holz
    > > (wolfgang.holz.wh@germany.agfa.com). The main details are:
    > >
    > > dilute Temp. time
    > > Film 1+4 20-25°C 6-8min
    > > PE/RC-Paper 1+4 20-25°C approx. 1min
    > > Baryt-Paper 1+4 20-25°C approx. 1-3min
    > >
    > > You have to use an acid stop bath to avoid dichroitic <sic> fog.
    > >

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can make up a similar formula (TF3) from the Darkroom Cookbook (Anchell & Troop). Also Barry Thornton sells a prepackaged alkaline fixer, Archifix-www.barry-thronton.com.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ryuji Suzuki has a lot to say about fixers on http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/index.html, with a very interesting recipe. I'll try that next time, it might be less odorous than the one I use now. And maybe I'll try a similar modification again - make a version with Sodium Thiosulfate and Ammonium Chloride.

I need to buy some more pH strips soon - down to my last 10 now!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    If you can mix your own, you can use the TF-3 formula with Ammonium Thio. that others have suggested and then add some Citric Acid(I add about a table spoon per liter, or I think its 3.50980712g per liter). The Citric Acid is not listed in the formula but there will be a big difference in the amount of odor when you add the Citric Acid. I also don't use acetic acid for a stop bath. I use an oversize tray with lots of water(sometimes just running water) and a little Citric Acid. Since I started using the citric acid, I hardly ever remember to turn on my exhaust fan.
    Caveat------I am not a chemist, your film may spontaneously combust if you do what I do, but I doubt it.
    huh?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin