Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,658   Online: 968

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I want to start printing images in batches, exposing say 10+ and then processing the paper afterwards. Because I have another Job, I do not always have the time to process straight after exposing.

How long do I have before the latent image degrades? Are there significant differences between papers (I use Oriental VC, Polywarmtone and Agfa MCC)?

Any help could mean less complaints from my wife as my print washer may not always end up in the bath after every session!

Cheers

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom,

I used to print up to 1000 swatch prints at a time from 1 negative for a UK company and process them in small batches when they needed them and noticed no change in the image from the first to the last print made. I always retained a print from the first set printed for comparison. Sometimes I processed the final set of prints several months after exposure.

This subject once came up on the CompuServe photo forum where Ctein is a longtime member. He offered an observation that I hope I'm retelling correctly.

If I'm getting this straight, his testing showed that an exposure time of at least 10 seconds was needed for a stable latent image. Anything less would make for an unstable latent image.

Hence, preflashing paper could not be done in batches and held for days or weeks, possibly not even for hours or minutes.

Again, blame me for errors or omissions in this retelling. That discussion occurred several years ago and, unfortunately, CompuServe threads are not archived indefinitely so there's no way to go back and verify my recollection.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Agfa pdf for the current Brovira papers have a graph of the slow deterioration of latent image. The small decline seems impressive. But, as pointed out above, I can see how flashing and unusually short exposures could fade more quickly. The only real answer is that four letter word. (test)

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always exposed prints in batches and stashed them in empty packets for up tp several hours and not noticed any problems. As has been pointed out though, you have to process preflashed paper pretty much there and then otherwise the effect wears off.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin