Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,924   Online: 1177

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geavert Ridax

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Geavert Ridax

On a whim, I bought a small package of Gevaert Ridax 8N paper. I guess it is at least forty years old. Does anyone have some more information about this paper? I don't know whether it is worth using, but then again, I don't like stuff sitting on a shelf...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ridax.JPG  
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no idea about your paper, but try lithing it if it fogs in standard chemistry.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey snap:

Can't tell you much as i haven't got round to trying it, except there is a good article here:
    Unblinking eye antique papers
    Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thomas, it would be small lith prints indeed... the paper size 6.5 x 6.5 cm.

Mark, thanks for the article. I'll see what I can do with the paper, whenever I get around to some experiments.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ridax has got an AgBr/AgCl emulsion intended for contact-printing by amateurs and was stated by Gevaert to have a large exposure latitude as well to be apt for high and low bath temperatures and to withstand fogging.

(There is a hint that there were different image hues: Blue-black image tone on white base in contrast to warm-black on the sepia base. Though that could be intended as a reference to the use of different developers.)

Amber lab lighting

it was available in 6 grades

N = normal grade

8 = Glossy surface/White base

and was on offer at least in 1949…

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. Small is good sometimes. Look at Kertesz early work. Contact print some 2-1/4 negs on it.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Thomas, it would be small lith prints indeed... the paper size 6.5 x 6.5 cm.

Mark, thanks for the article. I'll see what I can do with the paper, whenever I get around to some experiments.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yesterday I entered the realms of Doom, or rather, opened the package I bought a year ago. To cut the story a bit short, I managed to get a decent photo out of the paper, using f2.8 and 30 seconds. I developed in 6 ml Rodinal, making a total volume of 300 ml, starting at 2 minutes for the first one then eventually bailing out at 5 minutes for the fifth and last one. Even at these times, I think I was a bit off. The film border was still not really black. I am going to do a second try to see if I can get closer. After the session yesterday night, I am a bit intrigued by the lith idea Thomas suggested.

Interestingly, the paper has a black border all around, which means that if you are patient enough to line up the negative, you get a nice black border when developing the paper. I don't know this was done, but it looks very slick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I managed to get a decent photo out of the paper, using f2.8 and 30 seconds. The film border was still not really black.
    Interestingly, the paper has a black border all around, which means that if you are patient enough to line up the negative, you get a nice black border when developing the paper. I don't know this was done, but it looks very slick.
    Sorry, I don't understand this...

The film border was still not really black...
    the paper has a black border all around...
    you get a nice black border when developing the paper.

Could you clarify/expand?

Thanks...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Okay, I guess this would be easier to explain in pictures than in words. I exposed the negative, which has an unexposed border of film. This unexposed part of film was not really black, which to me meant that the photo has to have additional exposure to have enough contrast.

In addition to this, there seemed to be a black border within the paper itself which showed up when I developed the print. It's possible I am mistaken about this. I'll get around to posting an example in a few days time, I think that'll make it easier to understand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, I guess this would be easier to explain in pictures than in words. I exposed the negative, which has an unexposed border of film. This unexposed part of film was not really black, which to me meant that the photo has to have additional exposure to have enough contrast.

In addition to this, there seemed to be a black border within the paper itself which showed up when I developed the print. It's possible I am mistaken about this. I'll get around to posting an example in a few days time, I think that'll make it easier to understand.
    Yea, it could be very simple but i am confused.
    It sounds like you describe a border or reduced sensitivity/fog of low density near the edges
    but- well, i look forward to the pixs!

ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin