Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,483   Online: 1067

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sandy:

great article and I developed my first film (Classic Pan200 in 120 roll film) and the results look good.

I do have a question whether Sodium Carbonate could be substituted for Potassium Carbonate. My Dignan book states they are interchangeable and I could use 90% less Sodium Carbonate.

The reason I ask is I have tons of Sodium and only a few hundred grams of the Potassium.

- Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [quote="MikeK"]Sandy:

great article and I developed my first film (Classic Pan200 in 120 roll film) and the results look good.

I do have a question whether Sodium Carbonate could be substituted for Potassium Carbonate. My Dignan book states they are interchangeable and I could use 90% less Sodium Carbonate.

Mike,

The answer is yes. If you look back at the article you will see that I give instructions for mixing both Stock Solution B and the working dilutions with sodium carbonate in place of potassium carbonate. If you mix these solutions as described sodium carbonate will give identical results to potassium carbonate. I recommend potassium carbonate only because of the convenience factor of the dilution.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    <start of brain cramp>If you look back at the article you will see that I give instructions for mixing both Stock Solution B <brain cramp still active>

Another amazing senior moment. I printed out your article, took it to bed and read it last night. Made a couple of notes including what I said in my post, and I missed your commentary completely.

Oh well, better increase my dose of Geritol

- Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Tried Pyrocat-HD this weekend. Went on a LF group photo-outing Saturday morning to a coquina stone beach area. Developed negs that night & next morning in 2:2:100 solution. The Forte 400 received 9 min development. They were very thin & printed on Azo with 4 sec exposure. The Agfa APX 100 dev for 15 mins & printed on Azo with 10 sec exposure - better looking neg. Also developed some negs in Diafine as comparison. The latter produced a denser neg at least for Azo printing. Still up in air as to what developer to settle on.<br>
    One question: how long can I use working solution of Pyrocat-HD ( time or # of negs)?

In the article it speaks of streaking and pressure marks. To be clear, is this streaking increased or decreased film density? I assumed that since the cure is to load the film wet so that there "is a transfer of chemicals on the base of the film", that the streaks would be decreased density due to less developer action. Is that right?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Tried Pyrocat-HD this weekend. Went on a LF group photo-outing Saturday morning to a coquina stone beach area. Developed negs that night & next morning in 2:2:100 solution. The Forte 400 received 9 min development. They were very thin & printed on Azo with 4 sec exposure. The Agfa APX 100 dev for 15 mins & printed on Azo with 10 sec exposure - better looking neg. Also developed some negs in Diafine as comparison. The latter produced a denser neg at least for Azo printing. Still up in air as to what developer to settle on.<br>
    One question: how long can I use working solution of Pyrocat-HD ( time or # of negs)?

First, the working solution of Pyrocat-HD is to be used once and discarded. I f I don't make that clear in the artilce I need to do so.

Second, what do you mean by density. Overall density results primarily from exposure, not development. Negatives that are described to me as very thin sound like they did not get enough exposure. If by density you mean contrast, or density range, this is a question of development. The 2:2:100 dilution of Pyrocast-HD if used for the correct time and temperature will give you plenty contrast for AZO printing. I can tell you for sure that your develoment time for Forte 400 is too short. You need at least 14-16 minutes to develop the CI needed for AZO.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrodkey
    In the article it speaks of streaking and pressure marks. To be clear, is this streaking increased or decreased film density? I assumed that since the cure is to load the film wet so that there "is a transfer of chemicals on the base of the film", that the streaks would be decreased density due to less developer action. Is that right?
    You would be right to assume that with BTZS tubes the pressure marks would result in areas of decreased stain from lack of developer action. Since this is on the base side of the film it may not be very noticeable, but it will make a lot of difference if printing with a UV sensitive process.

There is another kind of pressure mark that is caused by the ribs on print drums when these are used to develop film. This kind of mark may actually result from increased developer action as it speed up to flow over the ribs.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    earlier, someone mentioned to get a 1000ml of Solution B, they would use 769g of Potassium Carbonate instead of 1kg + 1000ml of water which would end up with 1.3L of solution. So, if i wanted to end up with 1L of solution B would i mix 769g of Potassium Carbonate with 769ml of water to end up with 1L of solution. i know its kinda splitting hairs but for me i use 1L storage bottles so 1L would work out better for me...

-andrew

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    andrew,
    I use 100ml storage bottles. I only premix part A, then mix 10ml part A with an amount of water in which I've dissolved 7.7g potassium carbonate for a 1:1:amount mix.

So 1 liter water would be 1:1:100, ½liter 2:2:100. Saves me a bottle...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    A novice's question - how to read the graphs for individual films on page 4 of your article? For Azo printing, you should aim for a CI (contrast index) of .7 - .75. Figure 11 for Forte 400 would suggest a development time of 8-9 minutes to reach target CI. In earlier comment, though, "your develoment time for Forte 400 is too short. You need at least 14-16 minutes to develop the CI needed for AZO." I'm confused.<br>
    My 15 min dev time for Agfa APX 100 seemed about right judging solely from print results.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin