Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,076   Online: 735

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What is the most common mistake that results in the development of a completely blank piece of film? It has just happened to me for the first time and I cant figure out what went wrong. Holder light leakage? Would that not result in some but not all of the film being clear? Developer exhaustion or weak solution? My stock solution of PYROCAT HD was mixed 17 days ago and I keep it tightly capped and in an ideal location. Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only thing that comes to my mind is you didn't remove the lens cap?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, I do not replace the lens cap after I compose and focus.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    What is the most common mistake that results in the development of a completely blank piece of film?
    When you say "blank", do you mean that the negative is completely clear or absolutely black?

The only thing that I know of that will result in a completely clear negative is placing the film in fixer first - before the developer. Not that *I've* ever done that before ....

Complely black with no indication of a border of any kind - exposure to light before loading the film into the camera - with a "border", excessive overexposure - shutter stuck open or something like that.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Nope not black. Not so much transparent as clear with some sort of a pinkish hue.
    Francesco

Shooter
    35mm
    Or a dead developer.
    That has happened with Xtol (and with a crazy mix I made...) - sudden death.

Jorge O

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You mean that what normally can last six months tightly capped in a bottle may some times just die after only 2 and a half weeks? The only way to find out is to mix up a new batch of the same developer from another source and try that on new negatives. Do you suggest I refrain from using the same stock solution on further negatives OR do I try once more just to see if indeed it is as you say SUDDEN DEATH? I must say that I cannot retrace my steps and find any reason other than what you propose to explain what happened. What about a stock solution not mixed into distilled water properly to make a working solution? How much stirring is needed to ensure adequate stock goes into the working solution?
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    ooo

Francesco,

This sheet was not exposed.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The same stock solution has been effective until now. Prior to these last two negatives, this particular batch of PYROCAT HD has sucessfully developed 16 8x10 negatives. I can clearly remember mixing the right mixture of stock to working solution. As regards darkslide not being pulled, cannot remember either way. If so, it will be a HUGE first! I use BTZS tubes hence developer is always first as that goes into the cap (fixer is in a tray). Unexposed must be right as any extraneous light should make it black.
    Francesco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin