Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,050   Online: 882

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There seems to be quite a few different formulas for Amidol developer - what do you folks use for AZO??
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Many people are fond of Michael Smith`s formula, which is basically a modified amidol/citric acid formulation. Based on the information I have read and the loyal folowing he has I suspect his would be the best formula for AZO.

OTOH if you feel like experimenting I have the theory that pyrogallol can work just as well and much cheaper than amidol. When pyro is used as a non staining developer for paper it has the same charachteristics as amidol and of course the price is much lower.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Smith/Chamlee version. I still have the "old" Azo so haven't had to start changing things yet. I like the results so haven't needed to change.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I gulp each time I look at this - between 5 and 11 dollars a tray full. It really is a pacing item for working with AZO. Of course when I consider the inter-positives and final negatives - (I am not sure I would go to all this effort for a 4x5 contact print-) adding that extra work makes the cost seem less significant to the whole project.

I have used PMK for over a year now - I may have to try the Pyro experiment - I just guess I have to resign myself to make it count while the chems are fresh!

Jorge - do you have an idea of a starting point for a pyro paper developer? I have THE DARKROOM COOKBOOK and it has a formula for a pyro print developer. I guess I'll have to try them both and compare - It seems to me that if the results were as good - folks would stop using amidol - Of course there is always the saftey issues of pyro - I don't know if amidol is as toxic. I don't have any problems putting my hands in PQ developers but I will not do that with Pyro.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    Jorge - do you have an idea of a starting point for a pyro paper developer? I have THE DARKROOM COOKBOOK and it has a formula for a pyro print developer. I guess I'll have to try them both and compare - It seems to me that if the results were as good - folks would stop using amidol - Of course there is always the saftey issues of pyro - I don't know if amidol is as toxic. I don't have any problems putting my hands in PQ developers but I will not do that with Pyro.
    While I'm not Jorge, I can lead you to the very informative (at least in German) site of Wolfgang Moersch.
    The recipes are found by (through the German front page) clicking "Anleitungen", then "Know How". This brings you to a page with two entries in English - both well worth reading! There are occasional clear signs of translation, ask me if anything's unclear.

The lith instructions (in German) are good too...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think not many people use pyro for paper because they think it is only a stainning developer. The properties of pyro as a paper developer are very similar to amidol, it is a very active developer that develops from the "top" as amidol is said to do. When I mentioned this I was thinking on the formula I saw in the developing cookbook, but I have seen another one in another book, I will look it up and send you the formula. Just dont give up on it right away, I get the feeling you might get a very workeable developer a lot cheaper.

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like AZO in Rodinal 1:10...and it is definatley cheep to use. If you want I can send you a sample pic developed this way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin