Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,811   Online: 1086

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1115161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a latecomer to all this discussion, can I address the original OP? I also live in South Australia (known as the Driest State in the Driest Continent on Earth) and I've likewise struggled with my conscience as I contemplate building a darkroom in the next few months. The solution I've decided on, which may be of some use to you, perhaps, is to dedicate one of our rainwater tanks as my photography water supply. (I'll install appropriate filters). If it runs out in mid summer, that'll be a good time to go and shoot some more film until it rains again, or -GASP! - drag out the DSLR.

I can't believe I just typed that.

PE, has anyone ever explored the possibility of some kind of dry powder process instead of water?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lesm View Post
    has anyone ever explored the possibility of some kind of dry powder process instead of water?
    http://www.imaginginfo.com/print/PTN...ocessor/2$1021

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow! That's fascinating, Steve. So that technology is just sitting in a corner in a warehouse somewhere. Couldn't they at least sell it to Ilford or the Impossible Whatsit Project? I might just write to Messrs Kodak. Thanks for that.

Love your website, BTW.
    Last edited by lesm; 09-19-2011 at 09:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is dye sublimation printing for color originals. It has been in use by Kodak for years and is implemented in their small home printing dock. Heat is used to transfer digital images or scanned images onto a sheet of special paper from a sheet of meltable dye. It makes 4 passes by the heating head printing a C/M/Y/K image.

OTOH, there are ways to reduce washing by chemical additives in the fix. These are expensive but useful.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The process in my link was for processing of film:

It is generally agreed, even by the early naysayers, that the system was a remarkable technical achievement. It did what it was supposed to do: process negatives without wet chemicals.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahh, I was looking at the print part. The one of the existing Kodak C41 processes does not wash the negative, but just renders them for scanning and then they are discarded. You get a wash free CD or DVD in that case and some prints. Some stores do wash the negative and do return them to the owner.

AFAIK, there is no truly "dry" process except for the thermal processes and lamination processes, some of which were described by Haist.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    ron

would it be possible for someone use a trickle tank ( or something similar )
    so s/he does a primary wash in water that is "recycled"
    ( de-silvered wash water that went through the trickle tank )
    and used fresh water for a final "rinse / soak " ?

thanks
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am familiar with countercurrent washes, and I assume that this is similar. However, desivering the wash water and removing the hypo both will be the problem in what you describe.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    yeah, i forgot about the hypo !

too bad a good diatomaceous earth filtration system
    can't be used ... campers use them to filter water and make it
    potable, it would be great if one could be used to recycle used wash water,
    once the silver was removed ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A mixed bed ion exchange resin + an organic absorbing resin will work. BTDT.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin