Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,303   Online: 809

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spijker View Post
    Clean water usually does not come for free. Water purification and transportation costs energy and most energy generation pollutes incl. nuclear power. Saving water is better for the environment in many ways. That's why low-flush toilets, low-flow shower heads, "grey" water circuits etc. are invented and encouraged.

I use the "Ilford method" and presume that Ilford tested that method before publishing it. I haven't done any testing myself.
    And remember less than 1% of the water here on earth is fresh. Some 20% of that is in the Great Lakes. Read "The Ripple Affect." You will view water in an entirely different light.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm RF

Washing Film - Best Environmentally Friendly Way to Do It?

I manufacture a product called Ionic Silver. A benefit of this is a large water distiller. No dirty marks on film for me.

You wouldn't believe the crud that collects from distilling tap water. Brown and smells awfull. And I live in Cumbria with one of the cleanest supplies in the UK.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I originally posted this question, it was due to severe water restrictions being in place in South Australia; rainfall is not as copious as in other parts of the world - we are known as "The driest state, in the driest continent in the world." for good reason.

Harm to the actual environment is also of concern, but it was my intention to discover the best way to use the *least* amount of water, that would achieve safe, archival results without draining our precious, natural resource that is more often than not, in short supply.

Long, hot, dry summers with very little rain the following (or preceding) winter, doesn't allow for gallons of water to be washed down the drain, when it's in short supply. Parklands (usually green in winter and only a little browning in summer) are left to wither as the restrictive time to water is only a couple of hours in the am and pm - with large fines if you attempt to do so out of the allotted timeframe.

So if I can still achieve archival results, without using *any* more water than is absolutely necessary, not only is Adelaide thankful for my prudence with water use, but I'll also be saving $$$ on my water bill and ensuring water is still available for use during the next drought that comes along.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spijker View Post
    Clean water usually does not come for free...
    I grew up in an area of the Western U.S. that received less than 10 inches of rain annually, officially a desert by climatological classification. Yet the easy access of water from state irrigation projects allowed it to flourish as the breadbasket (more accurately "fruitbowl") of the nation. The profligate use of imported water allowed its residents, agriculturalists or not, to use water in ways of which I have been made increasingly sensitive. I stopped letting the faucet run in order to simply wet my toothbrush long ago. Any time spent in naturally dry climes should sensitize anyone of at least moderate intelligence that fresh water is a precious resource, unevenly distributed in a world ever more populated by a very problematic species. Here in the West, the maxim has always been, "Whiskey's for drinkin', water is for fightin' over". Ralph's comment, sincere or not, represents a massive failure of our teachers and leaders – political, religious, whatever – to communicate the importance of a finite resource, critical to the survival of everyone anywhere on the the planet we all share.

Shooter
    35mm
    Water can be a big deal here where I live. In a dry year using more than necessary is both unconscionable and expensive. I have had a $200 water bill more than once, and that's being careful. I'd rather spend money on cameras and film.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    water is not a finite resource. it is recycledagainand again, but i agree, wasting it is insensible. washing film and paper according to the ilford procedure is a much better way to go.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    water is not a finite resource. it is recycledagainand again, but i agree, wasting it is insensible. washing film and paper according to the ilford procedure is a much better way to go.
    Great to see you posting, Ralph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i've got 32 more days before i can return to florida and start building the next darkroom. This will be a closet design,but i'll have hot and cold running water.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph;

In FL they have only hot and warm running water!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ralph;

In FL they have only hot and warm running water!

PE
    good point!why do i have to pay for the pool to be heated? ,but complaining about that means not having any problems, right?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin