Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,782   Online: 884

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And up here, I do not heat the pool. Why is that?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    becauseit would kill the goldfish.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I grew up in an area of the Western U.S. that received less than 10 inches of rain annually, officially a desert by climatological classification. Yet the easy access of water from state irrigation projects allowed it to flourish as the breadbasket (more accurately "fruitbowl") of the nation. The profligate use of imported water allowed its residents, agriculturalists or not, to use water in ways of which I have been made increasingly sensitive.
    So that madness of letting water into arid areas for farming is a global malaise. Wonder if I should be thrilled to know or apprehensive!!

Here in the West, the maxim has always been, "Whiskey's for drinkin', water is for fightin' over".
    Bwahaha. That just made my day!(out here, fights between state govt over water have been quite timely and about as routine as the monsoons)

Ralph's comment, sincere or not, represents a massive failure of our teachers and leaders – political, religious, whatever – to communicate the importance of a finite resource, critical to the survival of everyone anywhere on the the planet we all share.
    Hmm. I think it's something to do with a more modern way of living where we don't really pay the full costs and most of it is hidden.

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post

Hmm. I think it's something to do with a more modern way of living where we don't really pay the full costs and most of it is hidden.

- via tapatalk.
    Very true. Recent and interesting read for me was "The Ripple Affect." An eye opener.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anyone have the Cliff Notes on this thread?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I once read in a german magazine of washing techniques of film..

and the one I use, and teach my students is simple and quick:

use 20-21 degrees C water.
    fill the tank with this water and agitate "violently" (kipping) 5 times - change the water and agitate 10 times - change and agitate 20 times...
    that's it.

apparently the chemistry/water interchanging is best at 20-21 degrees, so it won't help to raise the temperature..
    (or lower it)

this is the "washing maschine" principle. it is rather quick - it saves a LOT of water and it works (for me..)
    +1

Shooter
    35mm

More film washing

In the days of hardening hypo fixers and before HCA Kodak literature for its Brownie and other rollfilms stated that if running water is not available, five changes of water five minutes each with agitation is sufficient. A 1930 Ilford manual stated 7 to 8 changes, 5 mimutes each with agitation, if water is short. Leica manual 1930s suggested 8 changes, 2 minutes each, vigorous agitation, if water is short. ( if you own Niagara Falls, all give the usual 20-30 minute running water spiel). Water is always short these days, and if not don't try to make it that way. Anyway, do these archaic methods hold true today if hardening fix is used? With nonhardening fixers would these be more surefire than the surprisingly fast Ilford method of today of only three changes?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sigh. When that running water goes down the drain, it doesn't leave the planet, it goes back into the rivers/ocean after being treated. Just let it run. If you think you're saving something or other by emptying and refilling, and that makes you feel good, by all means do that. I'm not sure I would follow 1930's literature for 2014 films though. Depends on which films you're using of course. You will be washing Tri-X a while to get that purple out.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Yes, these methods are applicable today. I frequently use 5 changes in five minutes, and have done so for more than 70 years.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Sigh. When that running water goes down the drain, it doesn't leave the planet, it goes back into the rivers/ocean after being treated. Just let it run. If you think you're saving something or other by emptying and refilling, and that makes you feel good, by all means do that. I'm not sure I would follow 1930's literature for 2014 films though. Depends on which films you're using of course. You will be washing Tri-X a while to get that purple out.
    Oh, well I've heard of a gravity crisis. Because of what I've heard on this, I've moved all my belongings to the lowest shelves or on the floor, so as to use less of it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin