Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,992   Online: 845

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1822232425262728
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post
    Speaking purely from my own experience, I've only ever used the Ilford Method and occasionally check my neg's. Even the earliest ones from 10 years ago still look as good as the day they were done. Contrasty, no fading and plenty of edge detail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not to disagree with you, however, I would be more concern with much longer times, like 50 or 100 years.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF

Washing Film - Best Environmentally Friendly Way to Do It?

Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Not to disagree with you, however, I would be more concern with much longer times, like 50 or 100 years.
    Oh I hadn't thought of that.

Mind you, in a 100 years I don't think I'll be concerned with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You often need comparison prints that were kept cool, dry and in the dark. I have seen changes in as little as 5 years and as great as 40+ in color. In B&W it takes a little longer.

I have done wash and fixer tests from 5" wash and 15" fix up to 1 hour wash and 1/2 hour fix. This was a complex factorial involving Kodak rapid fix and several others. The bottom one is that there is no easy answer!!!!!

PE

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I plan to start working with fiber paper. Currently, I process everything larger than 5x7 in print drums. I use the Unicolor drums with the Unicolor reversing motor base. Is there any reason I can't also wash/rinse the paper in these drums? I'm thinking five to ten changes of water, and a few minutes agitation on the motor base with each cycle. The only potential concern I have with this is that the paper is not being rinsed flat, and it might make for more stubborn curling. Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    Have just processed 5 rolls of 120 film this morning and as I was washing them I started to think about the amount of water I use when printing and processing my B&W work.

Water restrictions are coming into effect yet again in South Australia this summer (and also over this past winter!!) and I want to reduce the amount of H2O I use as much as possible. I do use a print washer, but even then it seems to use copious amounts or am I imagining things??

How do you wash your prints and films to use the least amount of water possible?
    'washing' is actually a bit of a misnomer when it comes to film and prints. it's as much a diffusion process as it is washing and for thatall you need is to keep the chemical concentration in the emulsionand the water as far from an equilibriumas posible.So, a minute but constant flo of fresh water is ideal.print and film washers are designed to do just that.altrnatively,you might want to look into reeiminssuch as the Ilford archival washing technique.However, I find them to be more laborious and less convinient than archival washers who need little or no attention during washing.Other than that,cut out a shower or a car wash for every darkroom session and you've done your bitfor sensible water consumtion. I never understood how we would explain to peeople deprived of fresh watr resources that we flush our toilets with prfectly fine drinking water
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 08-30-2014 at 10:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin