Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,999   Online: 1173

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Powdered Drano is Sodium Hydroxide, might work for making Rodinal assuming it hasnt got any other ingredients. It used to be pure Sodium Hydroxide (lye) but it may not be anymore. I'm talking about the powdred version, not liquid Drano. I personally would just buy the chems I need from a company like Photographer's Formulary since you know exactly what you're getting that way.
    Crystal Drano has bits of metal in it, I presume to make it fizz a lot. Also some blue coloring.

BTW, Chris, love that shot of the chairs. The texture in the backs almost disappears, yet it is there, and the chairs stand out from the background. Masterful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patrick Gainer offers two home brew recipes in the Articles section / non staining developers.

One is called "Rodinal-like developer from Metol" and the other is "EZ Rodinal" or something like that. I have tried his EZ Rodinal with Ilford Pan F+ and it is really good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since REAL Rodinal is so expensive and truly hard to find, short - lived and easy to make, there is NO reason to buy it.

Nah. Can't even be snarky about it. Just buy it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a few examples of my work with TMX and Rodinal...

The first two are 35mm night time photographs made using semi-stand development (1:200 for half an hour) and printed on Ilford MGIV FB.

The third is a 4x5 daylight photograph developed in a slosher tray at 1:50 and printed on Kentmere Kentona Graded FB.

The only negative thing I can say is TMX is the only film which I've found to produce Newton's Rings in my contact printing frame. I was able to remedy the rings simply by using anti-glare glass found in a frame shop so it wasn't a big deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frontyardsnowlc600.jpg   virosticklc600.jpg   cabin_tree.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Since REAL Rodinal is so expensive and truly hard to find, short - lived and easy to make, there is NO reason to buy it.

Nah. Can't even be snarky about it. Just buy it.
    LOL. I just bought another 500ml bottle from Freestyle after my old bottle ran out last week. I had bought the old bottle well over a year ago, when I was still living in Santa Fe. It lasts forever and you get a huge amount of film developed from that one little bottle. I usually dilute 1+50 so 500ml makes 25L or almost 7 gallons of working developer!
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    Crystal Drano has bits of metal in it, I presume to make it fizz a lot. Also some blue coloring.

BTW, Chris, love that shot of the chairs. The texture in the backs almost disappears, yet it is there, and the chairs stand out from the background. Masterful.
    Thanks Paul! You should see the prints. I have printed it in the darkroom, and I also scanned the neg and have printed it by Inkjet. The two versions are nearly identical...the way it holds the tone and texture while still looking so bright is really nice. I did that photo for my graduation project from art school back in 1998. I still remember the day I shot it....a decade ago. Damn, time flies.

I didn't realize that Drano had metal bits and other nasty stuff in it...yuck. Oh well, better to buy it from the Formulary.
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Here's a few examples of my work with TMX and Rodinal...

The first two are 35mm night time photographs made using semi-stand development (1:200 for half an hour) and printed on Ilford MGIV FB.

The third is a 4x5 daylight photograph developed in a slosher tray at 1:50 and printed on Kentmere Kentona Graded FB.

The only negative thing I can say is TMX is the only film which I've found to produce Newton's Rings in my contact printing frame. I was able to remedy the rings simply by using anti-glare glass found in a frame shop so it wasn't a big deal.
    Shawn,

Those night photos are great! Have you ever tried Fuji Acros for low light work? The stuff has virtually no reciprocity failure even with exposures lasting several minutes. To stay on topic...the Fuji film also looks great in Rodinal! I've been using it a lot lately. I shot 4 rolls of it in my hasselblad this afternoon in an old abandoned farmhouse. Exposures averaged 12 seconds at f16. Thats straight from the meter, no reciprcity comp.
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Some of us are just incorrigible experimenters. I do understand what you say, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to say this is the most important thread I have read on the InterNet. Mr. Cardwell has changed my developing life. I agitate way less and I get better negatives than I ever did with stand, two bath and high dilution. And from a film that from which never got a good negative (thank you Mr. Cardwell):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carter3john/3508363739/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The difference between Cardwell and most others is that he firmly understands the whole photographic process through a very long time as a working photographer, documenting his findings, and he bases his comments on real world experience, data that is backed up with actually doing the testing. Over and over again. He has had a huge impact on my photography life as well, and I will be forever grateful. I wish more people would pay attention and listen. The man is absolutely brilliant (in the true sense of the word) and one of the best BS detectors I've come to know.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin