Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,630   Online: 854

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

TMX & Rodinal examples

Can anybody name any fine art photographers websites that use this film developer combo? Maybe some of your own sites have some fine prints that I can look at.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal makes a very long straight line negative from TMX, holding 14 to 16 stops,
    it can also make an S shaped curve, raising the shadows and lowering the highlights, if you use minimal agitation techniques.

I am certain you won't see any any signature of this combination online. 72 dpi is far to coarse to show anything.

Rodinal has been a favorite developer for TMX since the film replaced Panatomic X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was not very impressed with TMX when it first came out and the lab I worked in used TMAX developers according to the initial published instructions for processing it. I took in my own bottle of Rodinal and gave the lab tech who did our B&W processing by hand in small tanks specific instructions on dilution, agitation, and times. After a few runs we had it where I was happy with the results. It didn't quite have the acutance of Panatomic-X + Rodinal, but it was nice in its own right.

I haven't used it much since, but it's in my repertoire, and I think a very nice combination. Rodinal with fine grain films is not what you might expect from reading the grain phobic posts on the internet.

I'll second Don's take. I have an old print from the first version of TMX that I might be able to scan if time allows, but it won't show you grain or sharpness on the web, only tonality if I do the scan carefully.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal & Tmax100 (or APX100) was always a common combination with fine art photographers in the UK back in the late 80's and 90's. I used Tmax100 in 35mm, 120 & 5x4 and always found the results were superb.

The highest quality images I've every seen from 35mm were shot with Tmax 100 or APX100 and Rodinal, the combination of fine grain, tonality and sharpness is very impressive.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    check out Mark Citret's work. He talks about it in his writing/essay section... or maybe in an interview. It's there somewhere.
    www.mcitret.com

I've done some work with that combo with good results but quit using it due to the UV inhibitor. Never no when I'll want to make some alt process prints.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a TMax fan at all, but the best images I got from this film were done with Rodinal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    check out Mark Citret's work. He talks about it in his writing/essay section... or maybe in an interview. It's there somewhere.
    www.mcitret.com
    Citret is one of my favourite photographers. Here's the quote from his homepage:

"He generally uses T-MAX 100 film in 4x5 Readyloads and develops the film using a 1:49 dilution of Agfa Rodinal with nine minutes duration for normal development, and a 1:149 dilution at 12 minutes for his “-3 development.”"

And here's the actual page: http://www.mcitret.com/reviews/index.html
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TMX and Rodinal is a great combination. Like Ian, I used it and APX100 (when it was available) for almost all my 35mm work. Now I'd use Pyrocat, which is also extremely nice and stains beautifully. But then again, I don't use TMX anymore, so kind of a moot point.
    I remember TMX and Rodinal as extremely sharp, beautiful tonal scale, and above all easy to print.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another important excerpt from the Coggins article on Citret concerning his "-3 development" method quoted by Jerevan above, and the required exposure adjustment:

Citret employs the technique whenever he finds a situation where the range is more than five to six Zones. In addition to a development modification, the technique also requires a change in exposure. To capture adequate detail in the shadows, Citret places them in Zone V or VI—which is, of course, a much higher placement on the scale than they would normally receive. Citret has dubbed the technique “-3 development,” which initially was a reference to its use in handling situations with three Zones beyond the printable scale. He now uses the technique regardless of the number of Zones he is compensating for, anywhere from one to four or even more.
    Lee

TMX in 120 and Rodinal 1:50 was the first combination I tried when TMX was first introduced. I liked that Rodinal gave the images a little more bite than T-Max developer. It was a good combination. I don't use TMX any more, so it's not something I've tested recently.

Peter Gomena

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin