Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,538   Posts: 1,572,753   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Developing TMY-2 with Rodinal

I have been doing this by slavishly following the manufacturers recommendation of 5 minutes at 1:15 for film rated at 400. Works nicely so far. A few questions though:

1. I have one roll that I rated at 200 instead so I should cut the development time but I am not sure by how much. Any suggestions?

2. How many rolls of 120 can I reasonably expect to develop with one 500ml lot of 1:15 dilution (Paterson tank)?

3. Should I really be increasing the development time by 30s for each subsequent roll as suggested?

Looking forward to the usual excellent advice!

Images
    Reducing development time will reduce contrast as well as average density. TMY is quite linear, so if you get the contrast you like at 400, you will still get very close to that contrast with only a little more density by using your customary developing time. That, at any rate, is what I would do. Printing exposure will be a little greater, but not as much as you might think.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rodinal, or Rodinal Special?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hughitb View Post
    I have been doing this by slavishly following the manufacturers recommendation of 5 minutes at 1:15 for film rated at 400. Works nicely so far. A few questions though:

1. I have one roll that I rated at 200 instead so I should cut the development time but I am not sure by how much. Any suggestions?

2. How many rolls of 120 can I reasonably expect to develop with one 500ml lot of 1:15 dilution (Paterson tank)?

3. Should I really be increasing the development time by 30s for each subsequent roll as suggested?

Looking forward to the usual excellent advice!
    1. Don't know for sure how much I'd cut development for the over exposed film. Kodak hasn't published anything about pull processing in their tech pub for the film (find it here: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4043/f4043.pdf), and there is no reference to using Rodinal. I've also noticed that you're using Rodinal at a rather unusual dilution of 1:15. That's pretty strong for Rodinal. It is more commonly used at 1+25 or 1+50. Since your development time is already 5 minutes, cutting back on the time is not a very good option. That could result in uneven development because the tank's fill and drain times become a significant part of the total processing time. Rather I'd suggest that you increase the dilution to 1+25 or 1+50, then take perhaps 15% to 20% off the time for the film when rated at EI 400.

My own experience with the film rated at EI 400 and processed either in D-76 or XTOL suggests that there is no need for overexposure. There's plenty of shadow detail to be had in even some very harsh lighting conditions. Some exposures I've made at 1 stop under exposure have had far better shadow detail than I'd expected to see.

Give this film a try in ID-11, D-76, or XTOL. I use D-76 or XTOL, diluted 1+1, used only once, and follow Kodak's directions to the letter and have been very pleased with the results. You might like it too.

2 and 3. Rodinal, once diluted to working strength, should not be re-used. So my answer to question 2 is one roll, and to question 3 is obviously, no.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you mean Rodinal Special ?

Here is what Agfa said about extending the development time to compensate for partially used developer.
    When you are using such a potent developer, it isn't sound to shorten the times below 5 minutes. better to increase the dilution. Rodinal Special is excellent at 1+31, but you'll have to work out your own development time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails compensation-for-partially-.gif  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Rodinal, or Rodinal Special?

Lee
    Rodinal Special .. sorry should have stated that in the beginning

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Frank: thanks .... I am using 1:15 because that is what the instructions suggest (this is Rodinal Special now) but I do realise that a weaker dilution has advantages in that it extends the developing time so it's longer than five minutes so it would probably be better if I did that.

On the reuse thing: I am not talking about using the developer, putting it in a container for a few days and using it again. I mean, do one roll of film, pour out the developer into a container, then use it five minutes later for another roll. It seems from the comments though that this is not a great idea. So thank you all for that ..... I guess I will be going through more developer than I thought but then if I dilute more this won't be so much of an issue.

Thanks for the help all ...... I'll have to rethink this a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hughitb View Post
    Rodinal Special .. sorry should have stated that in the beginning
    Thought so from the dilution. Go with df cardwell's info and suggestions.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=hughitb;708966]Frank: thanks .... I am using 1:15 because that is what the instructions suggest (this is Rodinal Special now) but I do realise that a weaker dilution has advantages in that it extends the developing time so it's longer than five minutes so it would probably be better if I did that./[QUOTE]

Rodinal Special... Well that changes everything. Completely different animal from regular Rodinal. Never used the stuff, so I'm no help there.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Do you mean Rodinal Special ?

Here is what Agfa said about extending the development time to compensate for partially used developer.
    When you are using such a potent developer, it isn't sound to shorten the times below 5 minutes. better to increase the dilution. Rodinal Special is excellent at 1+31, but you'll have to work out your own development time.
    I thought Agfa went fins up a couple of years ago, is someone else making the developer now, or is this old stock. If it's old stock then how long does this stuff last.....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin