Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,127   Online: 1155

Shooter
    Medium Format

Grey haired films....

I bought a box of old film today... did not cost much and the seller said it had all been in the freezer since 1990.

Its a toss up... you don't want to be a cheapo... but at EUR1 a roll of 36 exp you have to give it a try.

Which film ages more gracefully? The fast or the slow?

Assuming they were NOT frozen all these years... which will probably give me a smile... which will bring a tear... and which will make me wish I had never seen the box?

30 rolls of Ilford HP5 Plus 400 (Exp 92), 10 rolls of Fuji Neopan 1600 (Exp 91) 10 rolls of Kodak Tmax400 (exp 91) 3 rolls of Kodak Tmax P3200 (exp 91) and 2 rolls of Ilford FP4 125 ( Exp 93)

I would be interested to hear opinions.

Thanks
    Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fast film will fog first, so the 3200 speed stuff will probably be as bad as it gets. I find that most old black and white film is usable, even if not stored under ideal conditions. Slower, grainier, and a healthy dose of base fog--if it's really old, but usable. If your film was frozen it should be great except maybe for the high speed stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In my experience it is really hard to predict. There are so many things that could have (or could not have) happened to the film that your only choice is to try it. My advice, just use a very forgiving developer like D-76 and you will probably get something usable.

Keep in mind too, even if the film is slightly fogged or something like that, it isn't always a bad thing. On of my favoite shots I've ever done was a portrait with a four years expired roll of HP5 that was never kept in cold storage. The shot is rather grainy and very slightly fogged but I just tell people that was on purpose and everyone thinks I'm brilliant.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Barry-S

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin