Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,101   Online: 921

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Development problems with HC110

I've been using HC110 as my standard developer for several years, with Diafine, Tanol and Neofin Blau as occasional alternatives. HC110 has always been a dependable choice if sometimes a little unrefined for my tastes. However, the last few rolls I've put through, several different films, several different cameras, all suffer from the same issue - pale oblong clouds along the top edge of the film. At first I thought this might be as a result of air bubbles, so I developed a single film in a full tank so the bubbles should be far away from the film, and used very careful light agitation. Exactly the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

I attach an image as an example - as direct from the scanner without any changes (there seems to be uneven development on the right edge too, but I think that's just the film not being flat in the carrier)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1ParisDelta400-3.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Strange, the spots are light in the negative scan , so they have density on the negative. What format, you said a "single film" so I assume sheet film.

Shooter
    35mm
    That looks like a light leak happening somewhere, to me, particularly because of how they superimpose one another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is the blemish on the right edge? Looks like 2 problems to me.

The ones across the top are heavier development for some reason, or light fog as they are denser.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dvanlondon View Post
    I've been using HC110 as my standard developer for several years, with Diafine, Tanol and Neofin Blau as occasional alternatives. HC110 has always been a dependable choice if sometimes a little unrefined for my tastes. However, the last few rolls I've put through, several different films, several different cameras, all suffer from the same issue - pale oblong clouds along the top edge of the film. At first I thought this might be as a result of air bubbles, so I developed a single film in a full tank so the bubbles should be far away from the film, and used very careful light agitation. Exactly the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

I attach an image as an example - as direct from the scanner without any changes (there seems to be uneven development on the right edge too, but I think that's just the film not being flat in the carrier)
    Okay, the clouds along the top look like 35mm sprocket holes, I would say either the camera has a light leak or your developing tank. where the holes allow light through but the film itself is thick enough to block it. If your using the same tank, it might be worth it to buy a roll of just expired film, and without putting it in the camera, run it through your processing, and see if the blank film has the same kind of marks, if so, then I suspect your developing tank may be leaking light.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

It's 120 roll film in a Mamiya 6 - it's possible that there's a camera light-leak but I somehow think it unlikely, and in any case I suffered the same issue with a film run through a Zero2000. When I said 'single film' I meant that I'm using a Patterson plastic tank and only loaded 1 rather than 2 120 films, yet used chemistry to the top, so that I could definitely avoid uneven development.

PE - the right edge blemish is a whole different issue - that's not on the film, it's where the film is curling in the damned scanner.

So, if it's not the cameras, then maybe it's the tank. The odd thing is that I finished my session with a roll of PanF in Diafine using the same tank etc. And there are no problems.

I guess it's conceivable that both the Mamiya and Zero have similar light leaks, newly acquired. My other thought is that for some reason the films did not wind tightly on the spool and that leakage might have a occurred after the film was exposed... The problem films are Ilford Delta 400, expired Tri-X and Fuji Acros, all of which I've used in 35mm but never before in MF. My standards are PanF, Adox 50, FP4 and HP5 and I've never had these troubles with those.

I have some more expired Tri-X so I might run a roll through that and see if there are problems...

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shoot some E-6 and have it commercially processed. If you still get the "bubbles" you'll know it's in the camera, and if no "bubbles", it's in your processing. If it's your process, borrow someone else's tank and do more B+W. If the bubbles go away, it's likely your tank.

C

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Ah-ha. Solution found. I had overdiluted the fix - the 'bubbles' were caused by chemicals from the incompletely removed antihalation layer settling towards the bottom of the film. A second bath in fix and the problem has, it would seem, been entirely solved. Thank the lord as I thought that I'd buggered seven rolls from my trip to Paris.

So, there you have it - if you ever see that effect, you'll know what to do.

Thanks in any case to everyone for their replies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    dvan,
    are you sure about your solution to the problem?

I had the same problem for a very long time. I never really solved it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    david b - worked for me, but then sometimes different problems can have the same symptoms... I was lucky in that it seems development was unaffected

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin