Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,133   Posts: 1,613,709   Online: 789

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok I mixed that up a bit. Perhaps too many experiments lately. That was in fact Tmax 100 @ 100, stand 8.5HR 1:333 Rodinal

Enclosing output. A few people I sent this to noticed a purple cast to it but my primary monitor (calibrated, etc) doesn't see it.

Images
    Although the HCl comes into Rodinal when it is made, it does not survive the contact with KOH or NaOH. The end product is sodium or potassium aminophenolate and KCl or NaCL, not p-aminophenol.HCl. I don't know if this bit of trivia has anything to do with the phenomenon at hand. With 8 hours development in a developer that is almost potable, who knows what might have come in with the water of dilution?
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Ah HA! Purple or pink cast on TMX negatives! Try a sulfite bath, or add some sulfite to the diluted developer. Rodinal diluted 1:333 has only about 1/3 gram of sulfite/liter, which is probably not enough to bleach the anti-halation or sensitizing dyes out of the TMX. That is my guess, anyway.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow hey Patrick still kickin' around I see...I remember your posts on rec.photo.darkroom (or was that photo.net) way back in the day...Long ago acquaintance of Richard Knoppow who taught me everything I ever needed to know about Kodak

How's your Vitamin C level doing these days

Anyhow, thanks for the chemistry breakdown.

So the color output (purple'ish) even on a regular rodinal development is not that p-aminophenol.

The resulting negatives from such long development come out beautiful, printable, and rich in tone. I cannot easily replicate this tone and richness with short developing. OTOH, I can easily duplicate my efforts by long non-agitated stands (contrary to some thoughts).

One thing is for sure- any film from tmax to apx to plusx will all stain a light purple if I stand develop them for more than one hour. I suppose all I'm really doing is toning and developing at the same time

P.S. I'm using purified water for development which who really knows what it's filtering and not filtering..talk is cheap.

Thanks Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Although the HCl comes into Rodinal when it is made, it does not survive the contact with KOH or NaOH. The end product is sodium or potassium aminophenolate and KCl or NaCL, not p-aminophenol.HCl. I don't know if this bit of trivia has anything to do with the phenomenon at hand. With 8 hours development in a developer that is almost potable, who knows what might have come in with the water of dilution?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh that's a good call! I'll throw in some sod. sul in next batch! Lets see 1/3 gr sulfite liter add 5 gr sod sul as a starting point. I've been meaning to tinker with long stand and pulled film (apx 100 @ 12!)

Shooter
    35mm
    I am not a chemist, but my stand method of development is 1 hour in Rodinal 1:100 with times increasing to 2 hours depending what I want from the negatives. I have found the I need to pre-soak and pre-wash my film till the rinse runs clear when dumping the tank before developing. My thought was that the extended development time actually allows the anti-halation layer to stain the negatives. I do not have this trouble with Efke emulsions or Rollei Pan 25, but Rollei Retro was the worst followed by Plus-X.

Just my 2¢
    P. Lynn Miller
    Sydney, Australia

Photo of the day... week... whatever...

And I have one of those Flickr thingy's...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How long have you washed the film after fixing ? Either a 10 minutes in a film washer, or, even better, an overnight soak clears the base for me. But, to be honest, I'm not letting the film stand for 1 to 8 hrs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin