Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,563   Online: 1120

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm

Comments in Bold

Quote Originally Posted by T Hoskinson View Post
    When you mix the Ascorbic Acid with water, it starts to degrade. Yet, it seems that Xtol does manage this, and PE talked of the Kodalk Elon/AA developer. Certainly, as Gainer has posted I think on unblinkingeye, water is the problem vs. glycols, tea, and glycerine. And, of course, if one wants to do two bath those aren't options.

Gainer's advice to dissolve the AA in Glycol is good advice for long shelf storage.

The purity of your distilled water is very dependent on how it was distilled. I'm using cheap RO "distilled", I presume. Regardless, I doubt if it is the contaminant for the AA

Also, What's the pH of your distilled water? (Don't assume that it is neutral pH).See above
    Silly system won't let me post only above, so this is just filler.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    Silly system won't let me post only above, so this is just filler.
    When you add pure, clean water to AA, the AA begins to oxidize. If the water is alkaline or acid the oxidation/degradation process will accelerate. In addition, if the distilled water contains metal ions, undesirable chemical reactions may take place.

At my workplace lab, we often need to reject commercial Deionized water for out-of spec pH.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by T Hoskinson View Post
    When you add pure, clean water to AA, the AA begins to oxidize. If the water is alkaline or acid the oxidation/degradation process will accelerate. In addition, if the distilled water contains metal ions, undesirable chemical reactions may take place.

At my workplace lab, we often need to reject commercial Deionized water for out-of spec pH.
    Starting to sound like the bumble bee that can't fly. There are ascorbate developers out there and they use whatever water the user has.

My questions and observations remain unanswered.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    Starting to sound like the bumble bee that can't fly. There are ascorbate developers out there and they use whatever water the user has.

My questions and observations remain unanswered.
    Paul, Please Review P.E.s posts, Gainer's posts and my posts on the subject of Ascorbic Acid developer shelf life and working solution life. And, if you have not yet done so, read Jordan's APUG article on Instant Mytol

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...ant-mytol.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I said we used an Elon Ascorbic acid developer at Kodak. I did not say it used Kodalk. In fact, I cannot remember what it used as alkali!

PE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin