Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,990   Online: 850

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Tri-X Push 1600 & Expected Grain

I experimented with pushing Tri-X to 1600 over the weekend, and there was a lot more grain than I expected. I did shoot with some expired film from 2003, and was wondering if that could be the culprit for the unexpected grain, or maybe there was something wrong with the development process.

Is there anyone out there who had a similar experience with pushing expired Tri-X and saw extensive grain?

I know pushing film will add additional grain as a side affect, but this is more than i anticipated, can someone comment on whether or not the grain I have in the following photos are to be expected?

Here's what I have (large file):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3247/...b223cdaa_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpt782/3039407189/sizes/o/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

That looks pretty much like pushed Tri-X to me. It is pretty grainy by nature. You are going to get lots of grain and lots of contrast when you push Tri-X.

What developer and time did you use?

Nick
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm
    Can't say for sure, because IDK how big your negative is. If that's 35mm, it held up damn good. Maybe a little itty bit over expanded, but there's only so much you can tell with a scan, so I'm not married to that one.

Welcome to APUG BTW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was unable to open your flickr pic, but the one of the dog looks about right for pushed film. You've lost shadow detail, but did manage to keep the highlights under control. Grain can get excessive with pushed film, that's just the way it is. Remember, you're asking the film to do something it wan't made to do.

As an alternative, you could get some some Fuji 1600 and shoot it at EI800 or Delta /Tmax 3200 and shoot them at EI 1000. That can put you in the same speed ballpark as pushing TX.

Shooter
    35mm
    You also didn't mention what developer and method you were using - pushing with a "stand" method (weak developer, long time in solution, little agitation) may give you results more to your liking (although there will always be grain). Lots of different (semi-)stand methods mentioned in the past - best do a search. Lately I've been experimenting with Rodinal 1:100 and 1:200 - so far, so good
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hey everyone thanks for the response. That's pretty much what I was looking for. It looks like the grain that came out was to be expected. I was just expecting something a little bit smoother, and wanted to re-affirm that it wasn't the result of using expired film.

The film was developed at a local lab that pushed the film for me. In the near future I hope to begin developing my own film. I've just been too busy with work to shoot off enough rolls to buy my own development kit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anoldsock View Post
    Is there anyone out there who had a similar experience with pushing expired Tri-X and saw extensive grain?
    Your scan looks like you got a very decent result, though the scanning process influences grain quality, as well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I was unable to open your flickr pic, but the one of the dog looks about right for pushed film. You've lost shadow detail, but did manage to keep the highlights under control. Grain can get excessive with pushed film, that's just the way it is. Remember, you're asking the film to do something it wan't made to do.

As an alternative, you could get some some Fuji 1600 and shoot it at EI800 or Delta /Tmax 3200 and shoot them at EI 1000. That can put you in the same speed ballpark as pushing TX.
    I put in the wrong link for the second picture. For some reason I am unable to go back and edit. Anyway, thanks for the input. I may try to shoot at a higher speed rated film, but I wanted to experiment a little with pushing film.

I expected the loss of detail with the picture of the dog as I exposed for the highlights, but I am pretty happy with the results.

Thanks again for you input!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AFAIK, the age of film does not effect grain size. Old/outdated film can lose some speed and develope fog, but should not have any grain issues.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That looks like pretty good grain to me for Tri-X at 1600. With Tri-X pushed 2 stops, grain is part of the territory. When i first started processing film i did everything i could to avoid grain but now i realise that it's just one more tool that i can use for a specific look or effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin