Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,717   Posts: 1,669,946   Online: 1010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Two bath developer - weird instructions

I decided to test Thornton's Dixactol Ultra as an two bath developer.
    It seems to be working fine (perhaps as fine as single bath, but good enough).

But the instructions has really weird statement. In the instructions, it is told that after dilution B (second bath), keep used dilution and after fix wash film quickly and then put it again back to bath B, then perform complete final wash.

What

Is there any sense in that? To me it sounds almost like mystifying whole thing. But as Dixactol is staining and tanning (cathechin based) developer, could the second cycle in bath B be relation with tan and stain?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's supposed to help the staining effects, but as it's likely to add a base stain to all the negative it's a little wacky.

It's not necessary and the practice has been dropped by most photographers using staining developers.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Best way to know is to make a film with the same pictures, develop it . Once developed, cut it in two parts. One will go in the B bath after fix and the other will not.
    Wash, dry and print both negatives. You will know if it makes a difference for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The specs on the website say its a tanning/staining developer. Most pyro or catechol based developers call for a post-fix bath in the used developer to set the stain. As Ian said, it can add base fog depending on the formulation... I don't know anything about Dixactol's formulation so its hard to say if there is any kind of restrainer in it to prevent additional base fog.

Regards,

Paul

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It usually only makes a difference if both fixer and wash water are acidic. If your wash water is that acidic, you will have an entirely different set of problems!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For both pyro and catechol developers I use a plain water stop (1 min. constant flow with agitation) and TF-4 which is pretty alkaline. So far I haven't had any problems but I think I may be lucky because the tap water in our area is 7.2 with a low dissolved solids level. An acid wash water will affect the stain but to what degree I'm not sure.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So it can really have some theory behind the reusing second bath after fix.

Quote Originally Posted by payral View Post
    Best way to know is to make a film with the same pictures, develop it . Once developed, cut it in two parts. One will go in the B bath after fix and the other will not.
    Wash, dry and print both negatives. You will know if it makes a difference for you.
    Yes, that seems to be best solution.

Better to test with both, alcaline and acidic fixer. If the bath after fixing is for adding some tan/stain when acid fixer and/or stop is used, then there should not be any differences with film parts when using water stop and alcaline fixer.
    My guess is that at least with alcaline fixer it probably does not have any effect - if it ever have

I will definitely post results here when I have done some testing.
    Last edited by Usagi; 11-18-2008 at 10:23 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected some misspellings

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think an acid fixer actually hardens the emulsion somewhat (even without a hardener added) and will prevent the stain from developing. An ammonium thiosulfate based alkaline fixer without a hardener additive will most likely give you the best stain in the after bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy King (Pyrocat HD) thinks that there is no difference i stain between using an alkali fixer and the very mildly acid fixers like Hypam or Ilford Rapid Fixer. It's the specifically "Acid" fixers with a much lower pH that cause degradation of any staining, a hardening fixer needs a low pH for the Alum to harden the emulsion.

My own experience with Pyrocat HD & Hypam supports this.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never used Hypam or Ilford Rapid fixer with either pyro or catechol based developers or even with more conventional developers. I've always been a little cautious about trying an acid fixer with pyro since Hutchings advises against it. It won't ruin your negatives, but he asserts that you just won't get the level of staining you'd get with an alkaline fixer. Both Hypam and Ilford Rapid readily available around here so I think I'll give them a try and see what difference if any there is.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin