Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,535   Online: 955

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Is ORWO NP22 the same film as Fomapan 100?

I got a long expired 30m roll of ORWO NP22 with my darkroom stuff when I started out and I decided I rather liked the look. I've scoured the web looking for a possible current source. It became wephota np22 in 1996 and then after that I don't know (was sold in from a california photo place till a few years back).

I found this the other day when someone mentioned it:
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/chart/special/webphot.html
    but I don't know if I can believe it. I saw 30M rolls of Fomapan 100 for sale at the place that sells the new Rollei atp 120 film the other day and I bought one, so I will soon have some film I may or may not like. The fact that it is listed as iso 100 and not 125 is discouraging but not damning.

I found a history of B&G here which mentions some of the changes, though I don't understand German and neither does google translate really:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...ial%26hs%3D0wm

I bet Fotohuis who has an account here and on other online forums knows.

It is still available as sheet film, but I have too much sheet film for now after experimenting with delta100, acros 100 and fp4+

That's the extent of the clues I have.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Why could it be the same?

Orwo had and still has its own plant in Wolfen.

Foma coats his films in Hradek Kralove, Czech Rep.

I can't see anything common between these two firms.

Except the fact that before 1990, they were at the same side behind the iron wall.
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    Why could it be the same?

Orwo had and still has its own plant in Wolfen.

Foma coats his films in Hradek Kralove, Czech Rep.

I can't see anything common between these two firms.

Except the fact that before 1990, they were at the same side behind the iron wall.
    The problem is that a film formula isn't synonymous with a brand name (e.g. they lost the right to to use ORWO, and before that they lost the previous name)
    A film also isn't synonymous with a business. In the declining film market businesses fail all the time an others pick up the pieces, or a formula is made in one place and sold to multiple companies with differnt names.

It is also possible that a good recipe is used by two different companies and produce a film that looks just the same.

So, while I am not at all sure that that devchart table is correct, I'm also not at all sure it's wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From what I understand, Fomapan 100 is a newer technology film. ORWO NP22 is most likely an older style emulsion.

I must not understand your query. Why is it that you claim that these two films are one in the same?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Ghaffari View Post
    From what I understand, Fomapan 100 is a newer technology film. ORWO NP22 is most likely an older style emulsion.

I must not understand your query. Why is it that you claim that these two films are one in the same?
    I have just the slim evidence here:
    I'm pretty sure ORWO NP22 is Wephota NP22, and the page says that that is Fomapan 100.

But I feel my claim is about as strong as claiming that there were aliens in Roswell, New Mexico, which is why I'm posting to ask if someone has any better evidence in either direction.

I've scoured the net for hints and there isn't very much. In fact this thread now comes up, so I don't want to perpetuate bad information.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    We can find everything and nothing about that. I have just read that wephota films are rebadged forte films...
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Wephota buys big rolls of film and cuts them in different and often weird and hard to find sizes. AFAIK they also do custom sizes.
    I don't know the history in detail but they were related (or part of) ORWO in the former GDR. After the reunion and ORWO stopping coating film they used up what was left of ORWO stock. That's where the designators like NP22 (which is an abbreviation for normal (contrast) panchromatic 22 DIN (125ASA)) come from. After the stock dried out they needed another film supplier and started to buy from Forte and Foma.
    Wephota just continues to use their designators (kind of house brand).
    They are quite open regarding the origin of their stock.

I'm quite sure that ORWO NP22 and Fomapan100 are not the same. They might be similar, I don't know.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham06 View Post
    I'm pretty sure ORWO NP22 is Wephota NP22, and the page says that that is Fomapan 100.

But I feel my claim is about as strong as claiming that there were aliens in Roswell, New Mexico, which is why I'm posting to ask if someone has any better evidence in either direction.

I've scoured the net for hints and there isn't very much. In fact this thread now comes up, so I don't want to perpetuate bad information.
    Hey, you found it on the Internet. It's *GOT* to be true. Isn't that how it works?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham06 View Post

It says that Wephota repackaged Forte, Foma, and Efke films.

That has nothing to do with ORWO films. ORWO currently makes several kinds of films, some of which can be found on its website. For example, Rollei Pan 25 is an improved emulsion of ORWO NP15.

From the website you list, it shows that Wephota NP22 is not ORWO NP22, but Foma 100. This is totally opposite of what you are thinking.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    AFAIK ORWO does not exist any longer (well, it does, sort of. It tries to be a photo finisher...). Their spin off Filmotec coats films like Rollei Pan 25 and two good motion picture films, N74 and UN54. And a traffic surveillance film which is sold as Rollei R³ according to the rumours.

Filmotec homepage
    Regards,
    Andreas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin