Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,948   Posts: 1,585,924   Online: 1039

Shooter
    Multi Format

Aluminium plates - info wanted.

I recently had a large consignment of printing papers given to me and it included a box of 8 X 10 "Metone photosensitised plates - orthochromatic." I assume that they can be opened by red safelight, but does anyone know what they can be used for and how they should be processed?
    Any advice welcome.
    Regards
    John.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    "Plates" are usually glass, but Aluminium would be cool. Perhaps if on Aluminium, they would still fit into a glass plate holder (thickness would have to be the same as the glass plates for proper focusing.)

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    "Plates" are usually glass, but Aluminium would be cool. Perhaps if on Aluminium, they would still fit into a glass plate holder (thickness would have to be the same as the glass plates for proper focusing.)

Vaughn
    Thanks for the reply but it seems that these are for use in the darkroom rather than in camera.
    Does anyone have an idea?
    Regards
    John.

Shooter
    35mm
    Some sort of lithography plate perhaps ? Those are frequently on thin aluminium so that they can be put onto the printing drum.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Metal plates

Metaphoto

There was a process years ago called I think Metal photo It was thin metal plates with a lith type emulsion onto which where exposed line images for plaques. The exposure required a high intensity light source such as is used to make litho plates. Some where also usable in a dark room by contact methods You may have something similar but it may not be camera speed..
    rmolson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What you MAY have is a box of litho printing plates. If so, these would be exposed to intense UV light under a "litho" negative of the typesetting artwork, and then "developed" by rubbing all over with a chemical (forgot the name). The parts that received the UV light (clear parts of the negative) remain, and the unexposed areas are chemically removed. The parts that remain on the aluminum are very sensitive to soaking up ink. On the press, the water fountain roller coats the plate with a thin film of water that is repelled from the developed image areas, and the ink rolllers contact the whole plate with a film of ink, but it only sticks where the image areas is. This image area is transferred thru a rubber blanket intermediate roller to the final sheet of paper as it goes thru the press thus creating PRINTED matter. Almost every piece of printed paper in your household, books, magazines, brochures, sales flyers, newspapers, junk mail, non-junk mail, packaging on products, etc., are printed in this manner. There is a plate made for each color in color "process" printing. The colors are printed in succession, including black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the UK there was an emulsion coated Aluminium metal plate available called Metone from John Blishen & Co back in the late 60's early 70's. I guess it had disappeared by the late 80's. It was indeed Orthochromatic and was exposed by enlargement & processed as if B&W paper, it was designed for producing display panels, signs etc.They sold it alongside papers on coloured & metalised bases, foto-linen, Opaline.

The aluminium finish differed from most printing plates. Somewhere in the UK I still have a sample.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In the UK there was an emulsion coated Aluminium metal plate available called Metone from John Blishen & Co back in the late 60's early 70's. I guess it had disappeared by the late 80's. It was indeed Orthochromatic and was exposed by enlargement & processed as if B&W paper, it was designed for producing display panels, signs etc.They sold it alongside papers on coloured & metalised bases, foto-linen, Opaline.

The aluminium finish differed from most printing plates. Somewhere in the UK I still have a sample.

Ian
    Hi Ian,
    The box is marked "Metone" and is marked orthochromatic so may be what you say. I will try using one as photo paper and see what results. Thanks Ian.

Thank you all who responded, will post result of processing attempts.
    Regards,
    John.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin