Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,096   Online: 716

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm basically filing this roll under the "write-off" category. There was nothing of huge value on it anyways. Second roll in a row of Acros I've screwed up too. :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I realize that this may seem unlikely, but it looks like dust that attached itself to the film while it was drying. Did something change in the method and/or environment in which you dry your film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    It doesn't seem like it. they're light grey flecks that seem to be part of the emulsion. The fact that they share a similar thinness to the rest of the emulsion is a bit disconcerting.
    Since they are on the emulsion side, and do not (probably) appear to be above the level of the emulsion, then two conclusions: they might be grey matter that became completely imbedded in the emulsion whilst it was wet; or they are areas of increased density caused by greater developer activity in those places.
    If the second and since you use a water rinse, then I would opt away from something post development like fixer not hitting those spots. I do not know if it is possible for bits of hydroxide from the Rodinal to be in solution; and then to stay in one place causing very local overdevelopment. If that were possible, then I can't imagine them staying in one spot long enough to over develop those little spots.
    Still, if you are certain it is the emulsion side only, then excess developer activity in those spots seems to be the only conclusion I can fathom.
    Is the Rodinal home-made or is it over the counter?
    That leaves something physical in the wet emulsion. I have seen fixer that has thrown a kind of grey-yellow precipitate which stayed on the film--but that would be on the film base side as well as the emulsion side, I would think.
    Ditto (probably) for some kind of crud (rust) in the water supply used for the final rise?
    Do you use distilled water for your final risne?

What a condundrum.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I'm basically filing this roll under the "write-off" category. There was nothing of huge value on it anyways. Second roll in a row of Acros I've screwed up too. :-)
    Still, it's not possible to have a "learning experience" unless we can figger out what happened. Was the first roll of screwed up Acros screwed up with the same result, or was it different?. You have to remember: Murphy, he of the LAW, I am convinced, was not an engineer, he wahr a photo--grapher.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Are you using an acid stop bath after the rodinal? I've heard of "pinhole" issues with some emulsions when using acid stop. I would expect the pinhole problem to give you lighter spots on the neg, not dark spots though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Still, it's not possible to have a "learning experience" unless we can figger out what happened. Was the first roll of screwed up Acros screwed up with the same result, or was it different?. You have to remember: Murphy, he of the LAW, I am convinced, was not an engineer, he wahr a photo--grapher.
    Actually the first roll was entirely screwed up outside of my control:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kediwah...7609304359144/

Has the details that I'm sure you'll find funny. It was originally an experiment to push Acros to 1600 (for the heck of it) and see how XTOL handled it. Unfortunately other circumstances panned out.

Anyways I can tell you that this Rodinal is over the counter Agfa stuff but it is the *first* time I have used it. I literally had just opened the stuff, visually checked it's consistency (looks red to me) and measured appropriately for 1:50 (10ml if I recall right, since I was using 500 ml of water).

I don't normally ever use anything but tap water. In fact I normally hit my preferred, Neopan, with Kodak stop. Never had any issues. I just happened to use water stop w/ the Rodinal because I had taken the tank upstairs. Now I guess it's possible that the upstairs water has more crap in it but it would seem very unlikely. I only used it to stop anyways. After that, same fixing routine that I use every time.

Prior to that, the rodinal had been sitting at room temp for maybe a month or so, unopened.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That settles it. I finally figured it out!!! GREMLINS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's what I thought too, John...

I think the only way to get to the bottom with any problem like this is to analyze absolutely every variable conceivable. To reproduce every step exactly as you did it when things went wrong. I have never heard of Fuji emulsion problems, and I've used a fair bit of Neopan 400, 1600, and Acros 100 in both 120 and 35mm without ever having an issue.
    I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for what happened somewhere, it's just a matter of how much time you wish to spend finding the solution.
    One thing you might want to try is to develop a clip test in the darkroom in complete darkness. Same chemistry, same everything, but in trays - without reels, without the tank. Just keep your timer humming along and find a way to agitate normally (I use a metronome).
    I had some problems with Plus-X developed in Pyrocat not so long ago. I had one roll of Plus-X and two rolls of Tri-X in the same tank. The Tri-X came out perfect, the Plus-X had all kinds of stains and emulsion inconsistencies in it. Then I developed the Plus-X in either HC-110 or Rodinal and the problem went away. So I tried Pyrocat again, same thing. I could not figure it out. So I gave up. Your problem sounds like one of those situations where we can only blame GREMLINS!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What tank are you using? Plastic or stainless.... Also what reels? The only think I have seen that remotely looks like this is when I souped sheet film in pyrocat HD and had a clothes pin as the seperator in a uniroller tank. The spring on the clothes pin reacted with the pyrocat and went black and crusty! The black crusty deposits flaked off and embedded themselves into the emulsion. No washing would remove them.

Not sure if this can happen in Rodinal or not, or if you have anything in the tank that could react with it to cause the deposits? Rodinal is normally bullet proof hence the reason it's been around so long and is so widely used.

As a control, I would soup the other roll in other chemistry... esepcially if they are from the same batch? It couldbe an emulsion defect that onlt manifests itself with amphenol based devs like Rodinal? I am no chemist but something strange appears to be reacting.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew: Standard 2-reel stainless steel w/ Hewes reels.

Guess I'm going to have to shoot an Acros test roll, clip in half and develop one in Rodinal and the other in D-76.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin