Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,968   Online: 800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Acros strangeness (w/ Rodinal)

Recently developed a 135 roll of Acros 100 in Rodinal 1+50, ~12min. The film was underdeveloped by about 2 minutes due to mistakingly using the wrong temperature ("aww shucks") however the strangeness part is not really the thin negatives it's the fact that the emulsion seems to be flaking much more commonly than any other film i've developed.

135-36 Acros 100 + Rodinal 1+50, ~12 min @ 16C (should be 14 min).
    Stop was water, 5-10-20 inversions.
    Fixer was Arista Premium Odorless RF (Clayton), ~4-5min or so.
    Wash, 10-20-30 inversions.
    Photoflo, 1min then hang.

Nothing new about the process really, but after cutting the negs and checking things later w/ lightbox and scanning I can see what looks to be flaking of some sort all over the place. I know I underdeveloped, but what would cause this? Overfixing (fixer has done about 10 rolls)? I developed a roll of NP1600 w/ XTOL right after this using the same tank, fixer, photoflo (although not Rodinal) and had absolutely no issues with breakdown/crud.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kediwah...54238/sizes/o/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kediwah...20341/sizes/o/

You can see the general badness throughout the frame. Any thoughts?

-cl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Were your tank, beaker for developer, reels, properly washed out? Acros should be under strict enough quality control that this shouldn't occur. Did you try another roll of Acros too? Chances are that when you developed your Neopan 1600 the contamination was washed away.
    I've had issues with contamination, and even though it didn't look precisely like this, it could happen.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas: Totally washed out. I wash them after every developing session, let them dry, and put them away later. Same routine for quite a lot of rolls by now and while I've seen small micro-areas with such crud i've never once seen entire rolls of film affected by it. This was every frame of the Acros roll.

I can say that this particular roll did spend about a month or so in the body before I finally decided to just burn the last 10 frames and develop it since I was already doing another roll. While I think room temp, etc. could contribute to emulsion issues I couldn't imagine it would affect every frame in a drastic fashion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a wild a$$ guess - perhaps the film got reticulated somehow? Did you have varying temperature between developer, stop, fixer, and wash?

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    This is a wild a$$ guess - perhaps the film got reticulated somehow? Did you have varying temperature between developer, stop, fixer, and wash?

- Thomas
    Not that I can think of. Maybe at most 10F.

Maybe a better question would be to ask: what typically causes such consistent specks/flakes as seen in the above frames? It's not dust, and it's surely not anthrax. :-)
    Last edited by clayne; 11-21-2008 at 10:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: revised question

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dark specks on the negs, correct?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Dark specks on the negs, correct?
    Yep. Although not the easiest to see under an 8x loupe, definitely visible when inverted from the scan. Emlusion layer or something else?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Yep. Although not the easiest to see under an 8x loupe, definitely visible when inverted from the scan. Emlusion layer or something else?
    By oblique light, can you tell if they are physical artifacts attached to the emulsion or the film base?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had problems with foaming Photo-Flo, and then the bubbles drying on 120 Acros, leaving white marks, but my marks were much bigger, at least 10x the size I see on your negatives. Now, I make sure my Photo-Flo is free of foam before removing the film. To rid the open tank of foam, with film off reel, I slowly pour in some plain water. The bubbles run off the side, leaving a clear, bubble-free surface - through which I pull the film - slowly. Then I hang the film so the water drains to one edge.

I remedied one film by soaking it in very dilute fix for several minutes, rewashing and then using my improved Photo-Flo procedure. I'm not at all sure that your problem is the same as mine. Good luck anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    By oblique light, can you tell if they are physical artifacts attached to the emulsion or the film base?
    It doesn't seem like it. they're light grey flecks that seem to be part of the emulsion. The fact that they share a similar thinness to the rest of the emulsion is a bit disconcerting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin