Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,818   Online: 1132

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Getting stupid in my dotage

I "developed" five rolls of HP5 last night, and thought I'd use up the last of my Microdol X. Developed, stopped, fixed, washed, dried (on the reels) and got five rolls of clear film. I suspect the powder in the plastic container labeled Microdol X wasn't. I'm sure the fixer was fixer. I must have put some leftover chemical in an empty box labeled microdol x and didn't change the label. Lucky my feet won't reach my ass.
    Nothing real critical on the rolls, except I was expecting a few nice pictures out of the bunch. I hate it when you can't find someone else to blame. Wish I had an employee Even my dog is looking at me with soulful "get the paper bag" eyes.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    THAT is one of the reasons I only develop 1 or maybe 2 rls @ a time. I just don't trust mixtures etc. This way I KNOW what I am doing with my spare time. One good thing is that your mistake wil NEVER happen again !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I use Rodinal and HC-110 currently. I used to use the Pyrocat-MC liquid kits from Photographers Formulary. They are labeled, and I don't reuse those containers. It may seem like a waste, but guess what - I have good developing chemistry every time.
    The effort in exposing five rolls of 36-exposure film, or even five rolls of 120, is significant. It's a day's worth of work, and completely sucks and blows thinking that each of those rolls probably cost you in the vicinity of six bucks.
    I have done what you did in the past, but it was exhausted developer that was the culprit. Rodinal and HC-110 don't really go bad if you use it wisely.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    I suspect the powder in the plastic container labeled Microdol X wasn't.
    I could just have easily been Xtol with sudden death syndrome.

I think the only way to be sure is to drop a snip of leader or paper into the developer before use to 'proof' the developer.

I, of course, always forget to do this.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't feel bad. We all screw up. Just the other day, I did a whole series of shots under studio strobes with my Mamiya C220. Forgot to set the flash sync from "M" to "X". Two blank rolls coming up. Stupid mistake. Oh well.

Have to consider some way of locking that sync lever in place.
    Frank Schifano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin