Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,421   Online: 947

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Efke 100 speed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just conjecture never having used the stuff, but I would think a thick emulsion film like Efke 100 would be good for contact prints/alt processes where you need a denser negative. On the obverse, though, a thick emulsion film tends to scatter the light as it penetrates deeper into the emulsion leading to loss of clarity. This, of course, is not good for those who wish to use negatives for enlargement and who are concerned about image resolution. Under-exposing the negative would help the latter, while increased exposure would benefit those doing contact prints.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Actually Efle PL100 is a thin emulsion film. In fact, that is why it is so frustrating to use - it is easily scratched! BUT the effort is worth it. At least in my experience, when properly exposed and developed, it gives me the best negatives I have ever had. This films is so versatile that it can handle N+3 until N-3 no problem. And very consistent. Again, beware in handling it. Use kid gloves if you have to because it will scratch otherwise.
    Francesco

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Actually Efle PL100 is a thin emulsion film.
    To the best of my knowledge, all available films are thin-emulsion. The EFKE films are based on the old ADOX recipe, which is said to have been the first. All others followed suit.

The thickness of the emulsion has no effect on the robustness of the film.

But I agree, EFKE does tend to scratch more easily.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Stand corrected on thickness of Efke 100, was confusing it with J&C's Classic film ( a 2 layer film). John Williams book Image Clarity has an excellent chapter on film types including a discussion of emulsion thickness. He includes Plus-X, Tri-X & HP-4 as thick emulsion films, and says such films dominate the market. Quoting him, "the thick emulsion & coarse grain of general-purpose films trade off sharpness for exposure latitude... their strength is not in their image quality."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin