Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,814   Online: 989

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Development aid to lighten zones V11 and V111

I apologise if this sounds a bit long-winded but here goes:

Having completed a full calibration print run (Ilford Multgrade paper, Dektol) I find that while zones 1 through V are rendering acceptably, zones V11 and V111 are printing about one zone too dark, with some textural detail even visible in zone 1X. I originally used ilfosol 3 for the Ilford FP4 120/asa 125 film in a manufacturer recommended working solution of 1:9.

I understand one alternative is to develop a second roll film in D-76, using a dilution from the manufacturer's recommended working solution, of 1:3 for a development time of about 12 minutes. This should effectively lighten these zones by one zone each in printing, without discernably affecting zones 1 through V. Can some experienced individual out there confirm that this course of action is a sensible one to take or recommend some alternative, please.

Many thanks.

Bennett Brown

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Add 10% to your film developing time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yeah, changing developers is like starting over in your testing. Just follow david b's suggestion and make a new print to see where you are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This means that you need to find a normal developing time.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ................and continue with the same developer (Ilfosol 3)?

Bennett

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    According to the Ilfosol 3 chart from Ilford, if you are doing the film at ISO 125 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit, the time is 4 minutes (240 seconds). If you add 10 percent, which is 24 seconds, round up and develop for 4 minutes and 30 seconds and see what happens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Makes sense. Does it follow that if that doesn't address my concern, that I should continue to increase the development time even further and so on and so on.....? The recommended development time for the suggested D-76 1:3 dilution is 12 minutes to lower 1 full zone (zone V111 to V11).

Bennett Brown

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK. I was developing at 70'F (20'C up here) for 4 minutes.

Bennett

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stick with one developer.

Develop a roll at 4.5 minutes at 75'F and use ISO 125. Let us know what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett Brown View Post
    ................and continue with the same developer (Ilfosol 3)?

Bennett
    If this is the developer you want to use, and the developer with which you tested for your working EI, then you would use the same developer! If you want to switch developers, you should find a new working EI with the new developer. If you have to ask that question about the zone system, you need to understand the reasons for it better before diving in. The reason to use it is to be able to consistently and predictably control your negative densities in order to give you the print you want. You can't do that if you are constantly changing things around. What you are shooting for when you search for an N development time is to make a zone I placement print as a zone I and a zone VIII fall print as a zone VIII on whatever you call your "normal" printing paper. If a zone VIII fall is not printing as a zone VIII with normal printing, then you simply need to test for the development time that will make it do so. If you are using the zone system, why would you be afraid to go over or under the manufacturer's recommended times? The whole point is to find your own times that work for you.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin