Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,591   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [quote="glbeas"]Well I can tell you infectious development don't do that, it makes the super high contrast that litho film has and also makes point sources get big on film etc. It doesn't make trails. My thought is you shot the scene then picked up the camera and toted it to another spot thinking the shutter was closed. It may have been set for a much longer time than you thought or it stuck open for a while.

If Clay says he did not move the camera then I am sure he did not move the camera. So move forward to other possibilities.

The development artifact described can most definitely result from stand or semi/stand devilment in extreme contrast conditions. I personally have seen it many times with semi-stand development in this type of lighting.
    The most probable cause is bromide drag, but with this type of development it is possible that infectious development could well play a role as well.

The major point is I want to make, however, is that you don't have to move the camera to get this result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other clue is that it goes well into the unexposed rebate area in the really hot streaks. I am sure that I don't have a camera that selectively leaks light only occasionally into rebate areas of the negative. I really don't know if it technically is 'infectious' development, but there were definitely some weird artifacts on many of the frames on that roll that cannot be explained by execution goofs. Check out the streak on a portion of another frame from the same roll in the technical gallery.

How are you closing the shutter on your Fuji rangefinder. I learned the hard way that if you close the shutter by advancing the film for long exposures that I got streaks from the extreme highlights since the film advanced before the shutter closed. I started closing the shutter by turning the speed dial; this eliminated the problem for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The development artifact described can most definitely result from stand or semi/stand devilment in extreme contrast conditions. I personally have seen it many times with semi-stand development in this type of lighting.
    The most probable cause is bromide drag, but with this type of development it is possible that infectious development could well play a role as well.

The major point is I want to make, however, is that you don't have to move the camera to get this result.
    Sounds interesting, happen to have any around for comparison?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas

Sounds interesting, happen to have any around for comparison?

I will look through my negatives and see if I saved any negatives with this kind of artifact. However, I usually just discard this kind of thing rather than file it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin