Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,410   Online: 878

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    ... our distributor in France / Belgium / Germany has an outstanding delivery system ( we check it ) so basically everything you say in your post is incorrect, and if you know anything about me or my company we value all suppliers of monochrome, including all our competitors...
    Simon, you may check or not, but the funny thing about the German distributor (who ever it is) is, that if I order at an online store in England, even if I have to pay way more for shipment it is still cheaper than ordering in Germany. 100 sheets of MG Warmtone FB in 9.5x12" are enough to over-compensate the shipment costs. I ordered HP5 (8x10") in Germany and in England. Despite the higher, price the German distributor manged to have a delivery time of more than 4 weeks. Guess how long the delivery took when I ordered in England? Now that I know to order Ilford products in England instead of Germany it is much more fun buying them and in addition to that, I don't have to be overly patient.

Cheers
    Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We just received our 80 liters or so of MG developer and fixer concentrates at my school. It may be the last for awhile since we're in a catch-22 pinch between funding and enrollment; we may be down by 50%. I suspect that we might be typical of what is happening around the US, with all of the states facing huge budget shortfalls. I'm sure that this is going to affect the demand for Ilford's products. I hope we all make it through this thing without losing too many sources of materials and supply.

When our longtime supplier, Rainier (in Seattle), went down, we had to scramble a bit for a new conduit. We've been working with a more local shop/lab (they are about 35 miles away) to keep the channel flowing. It's working quite well. I elected to go that way rather than to start buying from larger and more remote suppliers because I think that it is very important to support our local shops.

The loss of Rainier was a sad lesson for a lot of us. They lost too much business to the internet. If we don't buy from the near end of the supply chain, we'll lose the local stores either entirely or just lose them to digital. We lost the oldest of the nearby stores when it went out of business; the other is still in business but handles almost nothing but digital stuff. It has become extremely inconvenient, and for myself, a very important element is gone. No longer do we get to hang out with like minded folks amid piles of boxes of papers, tripods, cameras, lighting stuff etc. -- or, we may have to go a long way to do so.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    In addition to Simon's report, I have to report that Harman is still defending the darkroom with the "Ilford Masters" although the emphasis is changing : Instead of running darkroom courses at colleges for students, Harman is now supporting refresher courses for college lecturers and technicians. My old mucker Andrew Sanderson is running things oop north and I'm doing courses down here in the soft decadent bit.

I ran a course down at London College of Communications a couple of months back and I've got another one scheduled for the New Year in Plymouth, sponsored by Focal Point Photographic (sorry, it's already fully booked).

Best Wishes
    Jerry Lebens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Why buy new when there's so many good second-hand cameras out there? The lack of new SLRs just means there's a saturation point in the market because everyone is getting rid of their film SLRs so we snap them up at a good price. So, why make something new if everyone is buying at a low price?
    Exactly. Imagine we are now 15 years further in time. My beloved FM3a finally breaks down because it's heavily used and anyway 20years old. Battery is not available anymore.
    What to do ? Buy a new camera ? Not possible, it isn't there. Buy the (fictive) bargain of a fm4a - not possible it has never existed. End of show to put it simple.
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    Exactly. Imagine we are now 15 years further in time. My beloved FM3a finally breaks down because it's heavily used and anyway 20years old. Battery is not available anymore.
    What to do ? Buy a new camera ? Not possible, it isn't there. Buy the (fictive) bargain of a fm4a - not possible it has never existed. End of show to put it simple.
    There are many fish in the sea...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as there are repair technicians to fix your broken fish.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Ruediger,

In line with my policy of stating only the facts, it is absolutely correct that I should state the current situation, prices in the UK were increased by 10.00% as of October 1st 2008.

I think since the summer you have also seen the benefit of the reduction in the value of the £ versus the Euro.

As per distribution in Germany its by a company called Le Bon Image, full details on our website : We ship weekly as per their instructions, our delivery record from stock items is rarely ever below 95.00% some more esoteric items that are 'make to order' ( see our PAL, Product Availability List on our website ) take 5 days from date of distributor order to manufacture so maximum deivery is therfore 2 weeks + European shipment.

Thank you using and valuing ILFORD Photo products :

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    While I wish Ilford well, I was very struck by the almost complete absence of any film or paper (wet darkroom) products at the Ilford booth at the Salon de la Photo here in Paris a month ago. Big printers were on display, and some rolls of HP5 120 stuck in a glass cabinet kind of at a rear corner of the booth. No one who wasn't familiar with Ilford and its history would have thought they were anything but a new-to-market vendor stalking the digital market.

Obviously there's money in digital; who can deny it? But if Ilford wants to keep its silver-based products in the public eye, there's got to be a better effort made.

Or was this the French importer not stepping up to the plate???

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    Let's see, my two film cameras, are nearly old enough combined to collect old age pension, one was made in 1977, the other in 1981. They are Konicas, now Konica got out of the SLR business in 1985, and stayed out until they merged with Minolta. Believe it or not, I can still get my Konica TC, from 1977 repaired. That Camera is 31 years oid, not only that, but I can still get one, very easily, for about $110. In fact I may just trade it in, and get another one that has been refurbished by the repair guy. Considering that there are still Konica Auto Reflexes in regular service, a model that hasn't been produced since 1968, I'm not overly concerned, that suddenly I will not be able to shoot film.

Another point, if there is demand for new film cameras, then camera companies will make them. Canon still lists 3 models in their catalogue, Nikon's catalogue lists the F6, not sure how that compares with your FM3a (I'm not up on Nikon products), but looks decent enough. Right now there are so many film cameras on the used market, that perhaps you should just pick up a couple of spare bodies now
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MamiParis View Post
    Hello,
    this forum looks like an Ilford Forum. For me, there are still other brands on the market. My distributor in Paris (on of the last real shop in town) informed us already about the price increase of 12% for Ilford papers in march 2009. Than he told me to have quality problems with the liquid Ilford Chemistry since Tetenal in Germany is producing it.
    He told us that since Ilford changed the distribution with just the Europeen stocks in Belgium, he has big problems to get the products he likes to order. For this reason, he added tetenal chemistry et Tetenal papers in his catalog.
    Here in France, Ilford is loosing more and more users because of many reasons. Our photo club worked many years with the FP4/HP5 and ID-11. It is finished since few months?
    And this is not the fault of our user demands!
    Let me get this straight, they are having quality problems with Ilford chemistries produced by Tetenal, so to resolve this they are adding Tetenal products to the catalogue, that sounds about as Kosher as a ham and cheese on white bread......

Maintaining a warehouse in every country of the EU doesn't make financial sense, it doesn't take long to ship from Belgium to France, I doubt that a ground shipment would take more then 2-3 days, air shipments would be over night.

If the shop is having problems with Ilford, then they should be talking to their Ilford sales rep. Sales reps who have commissions on the line, can be amazingly good at resolving problems.

I've never had a problem with Ilford products in nearly 30 years of using them, and that includes quite recently. Now it's possible that chemistries for use in Europe are made elsewhere for those here in North America.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin