Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,685   Online: 858

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry;

It was clear to most of us, but I confounded everyone by a very very poor post which Ian corrected with his usual diplomacy. There is no harm done.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Jerry,

Just a little correction :

ILFORD Imaging Switzerland GmbH who make ILFOCHROME products and ILFORD Branded inkjet products are owned by the OJI Paper Company of Japan and have no link with HARMAN technology Limited.

Kind Regards

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMASN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    ILFORD Imaging Switzerland GmbH who make ILFOCHROME products and ILFORD Branded inkjet products are owned by the OJI Paper Company of Japan and have no link with HARMAN technology Limited.
    Hi Simon,

Which is why I said "erstwhile" parent company. Forgive me if I referred to that, er, can of worms too delicately....

While you're at it. Can the, Silver Based, Fibre Paper for Digital Output be glazed after processing?
    I know that it doesn't really respond to selenium/gold toning, but glazing is a practical way of extending
    the apparent tonal depth. (Not that I'd attempt it on a print 54 inches wide...).

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ian;

Actually, the speeds are not high for some of them, as the light is so intense! The speed is high, of course, but the intensity of the light kind of normalizes everything. It is not that bad, but you are right. Exposures might range in the 1" - 2" interval at f22 on an 8x10 from a 35mm.

But this all emphasizes the point that there are two types of "digital" papers out there. One is inkjet digital and the other is true analog intended for digital light output. Both are called "digital" papers by some without realizing the confusion this can cause. I did not help by making an unclear post above.

PE
    If you refer to the papers for Lightjet type printers as Lightjet/Frontier papers, and the inkjet type papers as inkjet papers or Giclée papers then there is no confusion. There really is no such thing as digital paper. Although when I think of computer paper I still think of the 8½ x 14 paper with the double tractor feeds we fed through the IBM 3800 Laser printers at work in mid 1980's. Man, those printers were fast, you wouldn't want a photo off one though, graphic output was kind of crude, but then what do you want with a printer that consumes about 6 kilometres of paper in an hour.

I do wonder though whether the Lightjet/Frontier machines are long for this world, some form of ink based printer will probably take over, fewer chemicals and less water consumption, less chance that some pimple faced kid will fubar the chemical mixing process. Thinking about it, one long inkjet print head the width of the paper and separate heads for each colour, would probably do it. It's tough to tell the difference between some of the inkjet based photo papers and traditional chemical photo paper.

This might actually be a good thing for analog colour photography, as materials manufacturers don't need to deal with high speed, high volume printing.

You learn something new everyday though, I never knew there was a difference between Lightjet/Frontier paper and enlarger paper....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Technically you could 'glaze' the digital FB paper...it would have to be a very, very big 'glazer' as its all mural size paper. The RC Digital is available in mural and for FRONTIERS is narrow width.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon;

That is interesting as all of the digital papers that I have wetted have reacted adversely to the water in some fashion such as smearing, becoming gelatinous and etc. This included the Ilford (Swiss) product but not the Harman product due to size.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Ah, but the secret is that you don't necessarily want to glaze mural prints.
    Three, sixteen inch wide images could be printed in parallel, then cut and glazed separately.

Jerry

Simon,
    I'm still hoping for my Delta 3200 in sheet film sizes. Any hope?

Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Simon;

That is interesting as all of the digital papers that I have wetted have reacted adversely to the water in some fashion such as smearing, becoming gelatinous and etc. This included the Ilford (Swiss) product but not the Harman product due to size.

PE
    I think Simon is referring to the silver gelatin paper for LightJet/Lambda, which shouldn't react in such a fashion, since it's just regular photo paper optimized for laser exposure.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, right David. I should brand that on my forehead that "Ilford" and "Harman" papers are inkjet digital and analog digital. The nomenclature is very vague and it takes a very careful reading. Also, after that huge display comparison of digital vs analog on youtube, I kinda glitched at Simon's large size description.

Oh well. Sorry all again. Muddy waters you know.

PE

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin