Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,644   Posts: 1,623,301   Online: 1149

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilford: State of the Photo World ?

Any chance Ilford will give us a "state of the photo world" update in January?

I would love to know what they are up to and how the current economy is affecting them.

Also, we have not heard from Simon in ages.

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    Any chance Ilford will give us a "state of the photo world" update in January?
    Why would they want to do that? Is that something they did last year? Besides, as much as I like and use the products produced by Ilford, Ilford is not the photo world.

Also, we have not heard from Simon in ages.
    That's not true, Simon has been posting regularly and recently (just saw something from him in a thread about RC paper, don't recall the details, though, but he's certainly still around!).

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear David,

I check APUG every morning and every night after starting and finishing day job.... obviously I do not always post.....

Briefly, HARMAN technology are working very hard ( and I guess all other people involved in manufacturing of all types ) to continue to develop our business ( no pun intended ) I believe nobody yet knows the depth of the recession we are now in, or indeed the length of time it will last, this will surely affect our business. We are very well positioned, totally focussed and committed to the analog monochrome World, our business will continue to develop in different ways alongside the monochrome business. We do face challenges around raw materials, in legislation of use, pricing and availability that keeps our R&D busy finding and testing and validating alternatives..but they are doing a great job and we have not lost a product yet!

Following PHOTOKINA I have seen lots of very 'optomistic' posts about analog, some are true, but the fundamental is that the use of analog materials is always ' over estimated ' and continues to decline, and will continue to decline, all be it at a gentler pace than previously.

We are doing all we can, and putting money where our mouth is, to 'defend the darkroom' and to ensure silver based photography is continued to be taught, used, appreciated and valued and that silver based photography continues to be the vibrant heart of photography.

When I say 'photography' I mean the truely creative, lasting and important element of photography as art
    and the true chronicler of our times and emotions, when recorded and printed as silver gelatin....I am not digital bashing in any way....and digital is bringing new people into our field...especially the kids, and thats very important for us all.

So all in all we look forward to 2009....we look forward to continuing to support APUG, I am constantly amazed at the knowledge and talent that resides in and visits this site, and more importantly the willingness that that knowledge and experience of years is shared with all, you all are true ambassadors for photography and are doing more than your fair share to ensure analog remains the vibrant heart of photography...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Well said, seasons greetings to all at Ilford/Harman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing that did suprise me about the "photo world", only about 300 people requested samples of the Adox paper (old Agfa being reborn).

Maybe it is a statement about how popular Ilford paper is.

But the extremely small number did surprise me, and I wonder how much of an effect it is having on the delayed release date?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a very nice thing to hear Simon say we are true ambassadors for photography. I'm going to say thank you for this Simon.

As for the state of the photo world I can only comment on my own back-yard. Myself and thefizz have been running workshops in Dublin helping newbies get into film, helping intermediate and experienced printers learn new techniques.

Some shops have told me that their film/paper sales are up. Enquiries and interest is up. I have been told this is mostly down to interest created by our workshops which is very heartening to hear.

I started a 'Lets shoot one film camera' exchange on a great website we have in Ireland called Photography Ireland (the owner is Mark and 'Stickdude' on APUG) and I've nearly 30 photographers signed up for it within 5 days, many of whom will be shooting film for the first time. The interest is staggering.

There's a lot we can all do to promote the medium we love. We could bend that line on Simons graph upwards if we tried hard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It really is heart warming when you hear there are people out there, like Fintan and the Fizz doing their best to promote film based photography. And we have companies like Ilford still providing us with film, paper and chemicals. Long may it continue, thank you all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The economy... Well, if it's any comfort the fact that the US government officially stated that the US economy has been in recession for at least a year now should be good news. In past economic downturns, the economy had already bottomed out by the time the government has all the figures compiled to make the official announcement. Recovery usually starts within the next couple of quarters. This is in no way a prediction of how things will go this time, since we are in extraordinary times.
    Last edited by fschifano; 12-02-2008 at 02:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    thanks Simon. happy holidays

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    It's a very nice thing to hear Simon say we are true ambassadors for photography. I'm going to say thank you for this Simon.

As for the state of the photo world I can only comment on my own back-yard. Myself and thefizz have been running workshops in Dublin helping newbies get into film, helping intermediate and experienced printers learn new techniques.

Some shops have told me that their film/paper sales are up. Enquiries and interest is up. I have been told this is mostly down to interest created by our workshops which is very heartening to hear.

I started a 'Lets shoot one film camera' exchange on a great website we have in Ireland called Photography Ireland (the owner is Mark and 'Stickdude' on APUG) and I've nearly 30 photographers signed up for it within 5 days, many of whom will be shooting film for the first time. The interest is staggering.

There's a lot we can all do to promote the medium we love. We could bend that line on Simons graph upwards if we tried hard.
    I think what is happening, is there are many photographers who jumped on the digital bandwagon, with all of the pomp and circumstance that came with it, are now realizing that there are some difficulties with digital, like the razor thin latitude and extremely shallow depth of field, and the fact that, yes a negative may attract dust, but digital sensors seem to gather it from miles around and deposit it where it does the most harm. If you like the look of a photograph shot on FP4, you can spend hours trying to exactly recreate that with digital, or simply shoot on FP4 in the first place, even if you never plan on using an enlarger, but simply scan the result, and print digitally. People need to realise that how you get to the result isn't the point, the point is the result.

As for my opening point, count me in, I switched to digital a couple of years ago, and for many things, I will still use it, but my film camera is also coming out of retirement to start getting some real work done again. I will use up the colour film I have, at some point, but the film camera will probably spend the rest of it's life doing proper B&W photographs. If I want colour, I have the digital.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin