Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,043   Online: 972

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    For Rodinal to turn dark brown is usual. It does not indicate a problem.
    Thank you!! I was afraid the stuff was no good. Going to bag it and stick in the film fridge.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm currently using Rodinal that is several years old and is dark brown.

The other developer I like using is PMK pyro which I make from formula and again this seems to keep just fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Got new jug of Rodinal. So I tossed 3oz of 1959 or older that was a gift in 1959.It was working very well at 1-100

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I too use film with similar occasional and haphazard frequency. That's why I've settled on using HC110 as a one-shot, directly from concentrate (mostly 1+63). I puchased some 2 and 4 ounce Nalgene bottles from one of the camping gear suppliers and divide up the concentrate so that all but the working bottle are full to the brim. Even the bottle with air exposure can go for months with no apparent degradation.

(As I do even less printing, I'd love to find a paper developer goop that would work in similar fashion.)

DaveT
    Do you find problems with the viscosity using smaller amounts?
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Do you find problems with the viscosity using smaller amounts?
    If you use a syringe the viscosity is no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Uhner said -- I use a 10 ml medicine syringe sold for measuring kid's doses. It's a dollar or two item.

DaveT

Images
    An informative experiment: put a drop of HC-110 syrup on a snip of film leader and see how long it takes to turn black under the drop. After a minute, add a drop of water.

Water is the magic elixir. Lack of water is the secret of stock solution longevity. Water is not one of the ingredients of the stock solutions of HC-110 or PC-TEA or Pyrocat HD in glycol.

The mystery of the longevity of Rodinal stock remains unsolved. It has been said, however, that p-aminophenol is less easily oxidized by air than other developing agents.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anything syrupy stored in something that is not plastic will probably keep best over the very long term, aside from sealed pre-mixed powdered developers, which will likely hold their potency forever if they remain sealed. I like Ilfotec HC/HC-110. I use them quickly enough that I do not bother to decant the concentrates into glass bottles, but if I didn't use them much, I might do so. I also have used stock HC solutions that were over six months old and the negatives turned out as expected. Another time, I kept a 1:31 working solution for about four months in a half-full plastic bottle and it also worked as expected. I diluted it to 1:63 before use, and developed an unimportant test roll of old film, just out of curiosity. Pretty amazing.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-07-2008 at 07:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Images
    Another experiment is to agitate 1 ml of Rodinal stock in an open container until it gets really black and then see how much water you must add to make it look like old Rodinal. P-aminophenol is the base of some pretty strong dyes. What I mean is that the color of Rodinal stock is no real indicator of its strength.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a working solution, the only one that comes to mind is D-76 (and its kin). There are no doubt others, but few are now common (maybe DK-50 and DK-60a). As stock solutions, there are many. HC-110 and Rodinal immediately come to mind. Pyrocat-HD does well. There are also many referneces in the forums to developers that use TEA or glycol as a solvent for the stock solution, and they are said to have long lives.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin