Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,749   Online: 952

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Film Developers that keep well

Someone asked about paper developers that keep well, so how about film developers.

Here is the scenario, the photographer shoots a couple of rolls of film a month, and wants to process them at home, is looking for a developer that will keep well Developer must work well with the Ilford traditional grain films (PanF+, FP4+, HP5+) and be economical. We are looking for a developer where a 1L working solution lasts months, although stock solutions and concentrates that keep well and are to be used one shot are also okay. It's a pain in the donkey to get to the photo shop, so sealed bottles and powder packets that will last a long time unopened are preferred.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rodinal's concentrate (it is used one shot) last for years, with some people using decades old solutions with no problems. No working strength developer lasts more than 6 months in a sealed jug. Some concentrates last a year or more, but Rodinal lasts near forever in its concentrate form.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    06 Dec 2008

Wogster:

The two developers that come to mind are Ilford ID-11 (or Kodak D76). The other developer is Kodak HC110.

I have stored D76 for months as a stock solution in bottles with little "head space". It can be diluted 1:1 for one-shot use. The bottle of HC110 concentrate I have is more than a year old and is still "going strong". HC110 can be diluted in many ways (check APUG threads for more information) for one-shot use.

Both of these developers are great with the films you list. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal will, I think, outlive the Sun

HC110 has a very long shelf life too.

As for homebrew developers, PC-TEA seems to last a long time. Like Rodinal, it gets darker with age, but works just the same as when it was originally bottled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PMK has very good keeping qualities. As long as you don’t contaminate one of the solutions it will supposedly keep for years.

Pyrocat mixed in glycol is another developer that also keeps quite well. My last batch is well over a year.
    Last edited by Uhner; 12-07-2008 at 03:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot pyrocat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uhner View Post
    Pyrocat mixed in glycol is another developer that also keeps quite well. My last batch is well over a year.
    Pyrocat HD without Glycol keeps very well, I'm still using the last litre of a batch I made up 18 months ago,

With Glycol it should last considerably longer.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, your previous posts on this matter has convinced me that the keeping qualities of Pyrocat HD mixed in water is good enough for me. Next time I will not bother to mix it in Glycol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not aware of a w/s dev that last longer than one day, at best. That's why we have stock solutions; dilute just before use.

Rodinal may very well be the champ in this area. I recently finished a partially open bottle from 1968, still good, too.

HC-110, and the pyro's are also long-lasting stock solutions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rodinal is definitely very good. Five plus years, probably longer, as a concentrate.

PMK is very long-lived. My stock solution lasted about seven years and there was no sign of degradation. You can buy it pre-mixed or mix it yourself from scratch. My second batch is from scratch; my first was pre-mixed.

I'm not aware of any particularly long-lived working solution. D-76/ID-11 will last about six months in stock solution in a full container, and you can use it undiluted, but I prefer to use it diluted 1:1 and the keeping time of it in diluted form is only a day or two.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have not used D76 extensively. I know that it is capable of doing a more than satisfactory job. My understanding is that as D76 ages it tends to increase its PH and this makes it a more active developer.

I have had, as others here have also reported, very long shelf life with both Rodinal, HC110 and Pyrocat HD. Rodinal, for all I know, may still be good from the original batch that is, I believe a 100 years old.

If one mixes a developer from scratch and keeps the developing agent in water seperate from the alkaline agents...such as sodium carbonate...and mixes the two ingredients immediately prior to being used the life of the developer can be greatly extended.

Another means to increase the life span of a developer to to exclude or greatly limiting the exposure to oxygen. There are at least two ways of doing this: Filling the empty space in the developer container with an inert gas...such as nitrogen. Using marbles to bring the volume of the remaining developer to the top of the bottle.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin