Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,928   Online: 854

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sodium ascorbate + Rodinal

Hi,

has anybody here tried sodium ascorbate with Rodinal to reduce grain on HP5+ or similar film material? Did it work? How was development time affected?

luxikon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luxikon View Post
    Hi,

has anybody here tried sodium ascorbate with Rodinal to reduce grain on HP5+ or similar film material? Did it work? How was development time affected?

luxikon
    Yes. Yes. If dilution is 1:100, use 2 grams sodium ascorbate/liter and the time for 1:50. If dilution is 1:50, use 4 grams sodium ascorbate/liter and the time for 1:25.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Lee,

I did it like that:

Rodinal 1+100 (5ml + 500ml) plus 1 g sodium ascorbate // 18°C // 20 min // rotation development.

I have to reduce time a little bit but the grain is better as with pure Rodinal.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luxikon View Post
    I have to reduce time a little bit but the grain is better as with pure Rodinal.

Thanks.
    You're welcome. My advice is based on what I did with recommendations from Pat Gainer. With continuous rotary agitation, reduced time would be in order to prevent too much build up of contrast. Jobo has also said that a presoak of 5 minutes before development will make rotary processing more compatible with times for standard small tank intermittent agitation (5 secs every 30 secs, or 10 secs/minute), but that's also a "ball park" suggestion that you should expect to modify slightly based on your personal results.

Lee

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin