Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,655   Online: 893

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DDX Storage

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Vezey View Post
    My proposed solution to this is to decant a fresh bottle
    of developer (1 litre) into 10x100ml brown glass bottles
    and then use as I need. Grateful for any views or advice.
    Many thanks Nick
    Using amber glass bottles I'd likely I'd split the liter into
    four 1/4 liter bottles. Then one of those into three 1/8 liter
    bottles. Solution volume to be made up by a some additional
    dilution. That would make for twelve rolls. Too dilute?
    I insure a good seal by using Polycone or Polyseal
    caps. They usually come with the bottles which
    are very affordable. Dan

Nick Vezey

Many thanks

All,

Many thanks for sharing advice and wisdom - I now have other options to consider that will allow me to use all of the developer.

I think I may try the marbles trick - investigate the logistics of getting the tap off empty wine bags, and may even invest in a concertina type bottle (only £3.50 from Jessops).

First of all though I'm going to follow Richard's lead and try the developer I have left (it's about 6 months old). I have a film I've just run through an Olympus Mju I was given so if it doesn't work I've not lost shots that may be keepers.

Nick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure it'll be fine after 6mths, provided the top was on tight and it hasn't been cooked or anything.

Those vacuum devices for keeping part-drunk bottle of wine fresh seem to work quite well too. Store your part-used chemicals in a wine or beer bottle (I have a plentiful supply of those ) and suck the air out using the vacuum pump. Google for "vacuvin" and you'll find them quick enough, Amazon.co.uk have them among others. Much less hassle than the wine box!
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Just as an addendum, having seen a comment about leaking bags. All I can say is that I have never had a wine bag leak. They have to hold 3 litres and must get thrown around a lot before getting to supermarket shelves and then to the customer. Neither have I had a tap leak despite prising it out and re-inserting it.

As far as marbles are concerned the tops of most brown glass bottles are quite narrow and the kids' glass marbles I have seen that you can still buy in the U.K. are too big to fit the bottles' necks.

Ideally smaller, inert but slightly soft "marbles" would be ideal and I think that some internet photographic stockist in the U.K. had these for sale but the name escapes me.Sorry.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Just as an addendum, having seen a comment about leaking bags. All I can say is that I have never had a wine bag leak. They have to hold 3 litres and must get thrown around a lot before getting to supermarket shelves and then to the customer. Neither have I had a tap leak despite prising it out and re-inserting it.

As far as marbles are concerned the tops of most brown glass bottles are quite narrow and the kids' glass marbles I have seen that you can still buy in the U.K. are too big to fit the bottles' necks.

Ideally smaller, inert but slightly soft "marbles" would be ideal and I think that some internet photographic stockist in the U.K. had these for sale but the name escapes me.Sorry.

pentaxuser
    There are some glass beads used for crafts and such, these may be larger, smaller or the same size, usually dropping a glass bead into a bottle of liquid should be okay, without breaking the glass, because the liquid will slow down the speed of the descent.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is there not a product where you can spray in an inert gas (nitrogen, or something) to replace the oxygen with something that won't react with the bottle's contents?

I've been reading this thread and just have this niggling memory in the back of my head - could be completely off base but I put it out there anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Is there not a product where you can spray in an inert gas (nitrogen, or something) to replace the oxygen with something that won't react with the bottle's contents?
    Yes, Tetenal Protectan Spray. I did try it once but it wasn't that easy to use.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few years ago I used DD-X as my primary film developer, and if I recall correctly, was able to develop film without issue with solution from a half empty bottle opened several months previously.

YMMV,

Tom.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Another vote for wine cask bladders. They come in 2,4,and 5L sizes here (Australia) so it's no problem to mix an entire powder bag and leave it in the photo fridge. I always label it in BIG letters, however. Just in case. A skull and cross bones label is enough to warn off anyone else who might go ratting thru the fridge looking for a beer or wine. Lasts for ages - cold and airless.

Murray, Brisbane
    Last edited by Murray Kelly; 12-11-2008 at 09:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    Yes, Tetenal Protectan Spray. I did try it once but it wasn't that easy to use.
    I hadn't realised you were in the UK

The Tetenal stuff Richard talks about works well

The trick is to get down and look across the top of the bottle neck

When you can see this gas spilling out over the top of the bottle (think shimmering heat haze - that sort of effect) - then the bottle is full of (photographically) inert gas.

As someone recently pointed out - the gas is flammable - so no naked flames

Nova or Silverprint sell it

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Aislabie; 12-11-2008 at 09:42 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin