Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,736   Online: 917

View Poll Results: What is the largest Enlarged Print You Make?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5x7

0 0%
  • 8x10

9 11.11%
  • 11x14

32 39.51%
  • 16x20

27 33.33%
  • 20x24 or larger

13 16.05%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Since I have just moved into the new darkroom I now have the space to print up to and including 20x24. The cost of the the paper is really high at that size. I have some 16x20 and use that so far. The Missions of San Antonio is nearly all 8x10 contacts and the enlarged stuff fits that stuff.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used to like to print big. 16x20" was a kind of standard for shots I thought were good, and I would occasionally do multi-panel enlargements with four or six 16x20" sheets.

Now I rarely print larger than 11x14". I don't usually like to enlarge more than 4X from 4x5" and smaller if I can avoid it, and 8x10" and 11x14" negs I contact print.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Normally I print all my pictures on 11x14" paper, actual dimension of the image varies per image. After drying I trim the print and mount it for storage and viewing.

Wallhangers get the 20x24" treatment....because darkroomspace won't let me print bigger....

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    And I've got to find a deal on a darkroom sink, a big one. Right now, printing is serious exercise, as I have to run up two flights of stairs to the bathtub to wash all prints larger than 8x10. *eeeeeeesh*
    I've mentioned this one before. Still not sure why it wouldn't work.

For less then the price of a tray the local building place sells laundry sinks. Only about 20"x24" . But what I've though why not build some sort of washer out a bunch of them?

If a person had room to put 5 or 6 in a row . Set them up with overflows linking them up. Each one lower then the other so the setup doesn't back up.

You'd put the first print in the first sink. Second on the second. And so on. If you need more washing spots then you could move the prints up when the first one is done.

It would be bulky. But actually cheaper then an archival washer. It would be possible to put dividers in and then even one sink could handle alot of paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In the past I printed 16X20 enlargements occasionally. Now I contact print 12X20 and 8X10. I rarely enlarge 4X5 to 11X14 today. My more common print is 8X10 for both contacts and enlargements.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am comfortable with 16" x 20" - both in black and white and color. I can go to 20" x 24" in the JOBO CPP-2, but that would mean the use of a 3000 series tank, and I'd have to buy one of the wide angle enlarging lenses for my enlarger - and devising some sort of auxiliary easel for the enlarger.

I am nearly at the point where I will "standardize" on *one* frame size - I think it will be one of the "deep-dish" profiles - 2" or 3" thick, sloping to the glass - probably in a "gunmetal gray" finish. I'll print on 16" x 20" paper - using whatever area I think "works" at the time.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for your replys..My Apology's to those not in the US, I know that the paper size is somewhat different (at least in UK). In fact, I was trying to figure out if the 16x12 would work better for a print I am working on right now. Thanks again everyone for your input.

Mike
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    On the wall, I like the look of an 8x10 matted in an 11x14 frame or an 11x14 in a 16x20 frame.
    In my current set-up going bigger than 11x14 is do-able but it would raise time/hassel factor of the printing session substantially. Not worth it.
    Also, like most sufferers of this d*mned photography disease, I have a large excess of photographs and a severe shortage of wall space. Smaller prints are better.
    Right now I'm printing 8x10 exclusively.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

I print 16x20 and 20x24 mostly.

Michael MCBlane

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have printed up to 16x20 but only a few times, and that was to print something I sold. Usually 8x10 or smaller depeding on format or cropping etc. Sometimes 11x14, but mostly contact prints in that size.

I have always found that it is really a moving target. I may think big is great and then go to a gallery or someone's home and see a bunch of 4x5s or something about 5x7 in large mats and frames that really look great. I am getting to the opinion that where the print is to be displayed is the deciding factor.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin