Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,998   Online: 902

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Agfa Record Rapid and lith

Does anyone know if Agfa Record Rapid paper lith's? I have a small stash of G2 and G3 paper that I acquired on feebay some time back that is fogged in regular developer, but might work with lith. Anyone know for sure how this paper behaves?

Thanks

Andy
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have grany result with my stock. nothing similar to the great portriga . I will take care of the problem when I ended my portriga stock.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Andrew

I have only had sketchy results with Agfa products with lith, not sure why , but love the products for traditional printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends on the age; there were three known 'strains' of Record Rapid; the original truly classic one contained cadmium and lithed well. When Agfa had to clean the act up it was replaced by another formulation, without cadmium, but still ok for lith. This was changed again and the last one was the 'greenest', but had so little going for it in terms of image potential that most users lost interest and moved onto Agfa Classic, or other papers, and RR lost ground to the point it was discontinued.

However Mk's 1 & 2 (lithable) were not distributed in North America - the Mark 3 was sold in the US, but didn't lith at all.

I think that's correct, but Tim Rudman would be the one to verify it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I guess I will have to try it out and see. Martin, great information! this maybe MkII, but thought RR was marketed into the US as the Agfa Insignia brand. Not sure on the time frames of that though. What I have is Insignia G2 and G3 in what looks to be early to mid 90's packaging.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Andrew, the definitive test of "will it or won't it" is to put a drop of Sol B on the paper, with lights on, and look for a reaction. A rapid purple/brown/black reaction is indicative of developer incorporated in the emulsion, and the paper is not suitable for lith. (The question I cannot get answered is, if you process a developer-incorporated paper in lith, will it ruin the soup?)

That grainy, flat monochrome look that Chris describes is typical for a non-lithable paper. Put a drop of B on it, see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in the UK I still have some Mk 1 Record Rapid, I'll have to try it next time I return

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin