Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,484   Online: 1227

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

ruby lith material

hi
    all excuse the stupidity but what is ruby lith good for in photography ? the local sign shop just gave me a roll thats 3 ft by 200 ft., they used it for silk screening but don't do it any more,
    thanks
    mitch
    mitch brown

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ideas? Maybe put hair spray on it and use it as an under-the-enlarger diffuser weighted towards shadows. Maybe make your own safelight filter, or tape it over a flashlight to make a darkroom torch. I don't know how you would use the other 594 square feet. Perhaps if you have a studio, it would be useful in creating backlit backdrops.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You can use it to mask prints made with alternative techniques, since it will not transmit UV light. I am not sure about using it with enlarging papers, but that might work as well (at least with short exposure).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you ever want to get rid of it....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can also get artsy with it...I cut out japanese characters and printed over it...used it to make multiple "windows" and printed several different images on one sheet of paper. Lots of interesting stuff you can do. Oh yeah, you can cut pieces of it to cover little LED lights on phones, and other equipment in your darkroom...very helpful.

If you don't want it, send it to me!!!!

Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a piece that I use on either a back ground or hair light, instead of a gel. Works fine for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

with lith

I get artsy once in a while - like multiple lith (like real lith film - not lith printing) negs, all cut and taped together onto a piece of rubylith.

Then cut off the rubylith in the areas where you want the image to print though, and get out the opaque and paint on where the area is too small to ruby them out.

The last one I did bacame a 16x20 'neg' assembly, that I contact printed onto a piece of 16x20 under the illumiation of a multograde head to select the contrast grade of the paper.

It can also be used to make handy masking tools for dodging and burning, when the area to be burned in or held back has a complex shape.

Slide the enlarger head down a chunk, lay the rubylith on the baseboard, trace the line where the cut is to go while projecting the negative in question, peel away the right part, and then wind the enlarger back up to the image size to print at, refocus, and then use your perfectly shaped mask to help you get the dodge or burn to fit perfectly (still wiggle it to blur the transitions) .
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All that and it makes a dandy safelight filter to boot. A couple of layers is good on a small 5x7 or 5.5 inch round piece of glass or plexiglas fitted to a safelight housing.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a lot of Rubylith! The material comes in a lot of different forms, both clear and diffuse with varying layer characteristics. It used to be used a lot in photomechanical and electronics applications (to mask photoresist). I have used it to make masks for smaller sized film in glass negative holders for enlargers. The red material is equivalent to about a Wratten No. 1 safelight filter. You could use it for special shape dodging masks or other opaque masks. It's sort of handy when you need it, but you don't need it that often.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Many wetplaters use it to make safelight windows for their portable field darkboxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin