Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,967   Online: 739

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frdrx View Post
    Well, we have Foma processing their R100 film here in Czechistan, but their service is not top notch and their processing kit also isn't optimal (although I like the results). Foma R100 also isn't available as roll film, so I'm researching other options. I would love a tested and proven process that I could do at home or have it done commercially if needed. But a another proprietary process like DR5? No thanks.
    There are tested and proven alternatives to the Foma & DR5 products/services, they don't have a monopoly on B&W reversal processing, Kodak make a Tmax Reversal kit, I don't know if it's still available but many people used it with excellent results. The Photographer's Formulary also produce a kit.

There are also a number of alternative formulae on the internet. You would probably be unlikely to get results that reach the quality of Scala or DR5 immediately, you'd almost certainly need to do some fine tuning. But it isn't difficult.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I've collected as many recipes as I could, and I can't wait to do some trials. This one looks very promising. Now I'm stuck, though, because I cannot get my hands on some of the chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jens Osbahr has written an excellent article there, he updates it as well. Essentially his approach is similar to Ilford and May & Baker in adding a silver solvent to an existing product. Many commercial labs used May & Baker Suprol developer with Thiocyanate added, and the company wrote an excellent datasheet/manual with comprehensive data on the parameters for reversal processing in a variety os machines and also small scale use, it was particularly good on trouble shooting. I have a copy somewhere but everything is boxed away for moving, and I couldn't find it on my last trip back the UK.

You can usually get dilute Sulphuric acid and permanganate from most chemists/pharmacy shops. Permanganate is used as a mouth wash at dentists, and concentrated Sulphuric acid is often sold for unblocking drains, and of course topping up car batteries. You could use light reversal instead of adding Stannous Chloride, the Sodium Thiocyanate will be slightly harder to find.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again. The problem with potassium permanganate is that it softens the emulsion. It works, but I don't like it. Potassium dichromate is much better (for the slides, not necessarily the world). Indeed, stannous chloride and sodium thiocyanate are the two chemicals I have failed to obtain so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin