Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,244   Posts: 1,680,218   Online: 983

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got an article in a book up in the loft somewhere about playing with XP2. Who was it written by.... Hmmm, the name Micheal Maunder springs to mind, but I'm not sure. Was he the Celler Steller guy? He may be here on APUG somewhere...

Anyway. Point is that in C41 processing you have a very, very weak silver BW developer to give a matrix for the coloured dyes to form on. This is got rid of later in the bleach fix.

So... use a conventional BW developer and you get a strong silver image, perhaps not so far from HP5+. Except, the colour couplers are still intact. So, say you push the film as hard as you can in really hot print developer or D-19 or something. A C-41 film will stand a bit of heat & extremes of pH if you want to stew it in something really alkaline and so you already have a film that can be abusively pushed really well - but then, you can activate the colour dye as well by dunking in C41 to add even more to the density (but don't blix it, obviously). You can loop it too, to squeeze out even more. The idea is you can get really over the top film speeds ('speeds', if you prefer ;-) - really over the top grain, too. I think the author was talking about effective EI of 100,000 or something silly? I think the intended application was for astro photography, so the contrast may have gone beyond the very useable for more conventional photography.

I really must go and find the article, I haven't read it for years and I wouldn't trust my memory too much :-)

Anyway, there did seem to be much fun to be had with this film for those wishing to break the rules.
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would not develop C-41 film in B&W chemicals.

Jason Mekeel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Out of curiosity, for this question I talked to my bosses here at the lab and they told me at one time or another they had someone come in to cross process XP2 to get a positive B&W. Any one here have experience with that and/or opinions. Sounds like a fun thing, but I'm not sure of the practical purpose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if you search pnet using the terms "xp2 +d76"
    you can read about processing your film in b/w chemicals.
    the negatives end up a little thin, but they are quite good.

roger hicks wrote at one time ( here ) about processing xp2 in d76 ..
    ... sorry i wasn't able to find it here ( or his website ) ...

good luck!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagelike View Post
    I know that the default is D76 at 14 min at 22c
    Not sure what you mean by "default" here but I've tried XP2 in D76 1+0 for about that time, it gave very poor negatives, low contrast, lots of non-image density (fog) impossible to get even close to a good print from it. As others have stated I doubt if other conventional devs would be different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin