Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,518   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

XP2 and what BW developer??

I know that the default is D76 at 14 min at 22c (I'm shooting 120).
    I also heard of DDX at 20c for 9min stock and 14min, 1:4 dilution.

But I'm interested in trying out other developers.
    Specifically Microdol and Perceptol.
    Any thoughts?

Is there a rule of thumb I should use any BW developer with XP2 seeing as that its made for C41 process?

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not worth it because it's such a good film in C41 and quite poor in a B&W dev.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's not worth it because it's such a good film in C41 and quite poor in a B&W dev.

Ian
    I appreciate the heads up but I'm aware of the disadvantages of the film.
    But over exposed and more time in the soup can get really interesting results according to what you're going for.

Perfection is not a goal of mine with this film.
    I'm looking for something a bit interesting.

Just trying to figure out what other combinations I could use and what the rule of thumb is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then play with it in C41 dev, Ilford's data sheet says it can't be push processed like XP1, but it can. You can also loop it, that's dev in C41, wash, fix (NOT bleach fix) wash, then bleach in a rehalogenating bleach (ferricyanide/bromide) wash then re-expose to light & re-develop in C41.

Or try it in D76/ID-11 for about 12 minutes.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What the heck---but I've always thought that "interesting" should happen when you press the shutter, whereas "predictable" and "consistent" are what you want when you plunk it into the developer.

But I'm old-school and boring....
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try adding CD-4 and using a bleach before the fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are going to develop the film in a black and white developer, you will be hard pressed to pick one that you would be able to distinguish from any other one. You can't tell much difference with real black and white films, and you sure as heck won't be able to tell with a c-41 film. Just use whatever black and white developer you already have on hand.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagelike View Post
    I know that the default is D76 at 14 min at 22c (I'm shooting 120).
    I also heard of DDX at 20c for 9min stock and 14min, 1:4 dilution.

But I'm interested in trying out other developers.
    Specifically Microdol and Perceptol.
    Any thoughts?

Is there a rule of thumb I should use any BW developer with XP2 seeing as that its made for C41 process?

Thanks in advance.
    That's kinda like wanting to install screws with a hammer, you can do it, but it will not work nearly as well as using the proper screwdriver. According to Ilford XP2 should only be processed in C41 chemistries, which it's designed for. If you want to process your film then use HP5+ or Delta 400 if you want the same speed, I haven't used the Delta 400, but have used Delta 100 and HP5+ a number of times over the years and quite liked it.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regular black and white processing has no big advantages and many disadvantages for XP-2. The image would of be much higher quality with C-41 processing. I don't know of any good recommendations for using black and white processing, but I would note that C-41 developer is a very low contrast brew. It was a favorite of some for Technical Pan and document films. I suspect you would need a similarly low contrast developer, like Technidol, to develop XP-2 as a black and white film. Certainly a lot of testing would be needed to find the best developer and developing time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    What the heck---but I've always thought that "interesting" should happen when you press the shutter, whereas "predictable" and "consistent" are what you want when you plunk it into the developer.

But I'm old-school and boring....
    I think intersting can be achived at every stage and there is no reason it can't be predictable and consistent once you understand what it is you are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin