Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,848   Online: 953

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

120 Process Problem

Hi all,
    Every time I process a roll of 120 film the last three frames are always wiped out, looking like they've suffered massive light leaks and being completely ruined. I think this is a problem with my processing as whenever I have had a colour rol processed at the lab it comes back fine - my black and whites are the only problem. Does anybody know why this might be? Up until now I could live with it but as i'm about to do a wedding i'd hate to lose 3 shots per roll. Thanks very much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it the same film mag? Are you loading complete darkness? Plastic tank with light leaks? (don't laugh, I had an old Ansco plastic top that had a lighter black color in one area and it used to let in just enough light to fog the film.)

That's all I can think of.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    load a roll of unexposed film in your tank and processed as you would and see what you get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Passing thought ...

Is the messed up end on the inner end of the tank spiral?

If so, could this be a tank that needs a baffle or stirring rod or whatever installed on/in the center of the reel to block the light? (I seem to remember there are/were some tanks like that.)

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Passing thought ...

Is the messed up end on the inner end of the tank spiral?

If so, could this be a tank that needs a baffle or stirring rod or whatever installed on/in the center of the reel to block the light? (I seem to remember there are/were some tanks like that.)

DaveT
    If it is a Patterson tank, you definitely need the center post if you process in the daylight. This is true for 35mm and 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    If it is a Patterson tank, you definitely need the center post if you process in the daylight. This is true for 35mm and 120.
    I's also possible it's the wrong centre column, the are two or three centre columns that are close in size. Old Syten 4 & New System 4, and there were two older tanks one a uiversal that takes one 35mm,120 (1279, the other a multi that takes 2x35mm or 1x120.

So if there are multiple tanks around it important to make sure you have the right centre column for the tank.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks very much for the advice everyone. The baffle thing sounds very promising as i'm pretty sure it is always the three/four shots at the center of the roll. I've tried different tanks so i've ruled faultiness out at least. I'll give that a go, up until now i've always though all that piece of plastic did was help the agitation! Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it's not the stirring rod, to be clear, that is needed. it's the center column. All paterson tanks, and their copies, have a center column. The reels slide onto this column. The whole shingdig then sits on a little spiked hub-thing on the bottom of the tank, then the funnel-top goes on top, then the lid, ultimately. It is that center column that makes it light tight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It wouldn't happen to be due to the film being loose on the take-up spool, with the film getting fogged when the camera is unloaded?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What brand film are you using and where did it come from? Sounds like some of the problems you might expect when buying ultra-cheap and/or bulk-loaded films.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin