Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,574   Online: 1093

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Additionally there is a Kodak tech publication that describes a mild bleaching solution with (I believe) Farmer's Reducer and citric acid that they say will dissolve the dye couplers in colour films after development in standard B&W chems. (The orange mask I think is permanent regardless.)

Unfortunately it's no longer available online - I requested a copy some time ago, and they were more than happy to mail a hard copy to me. It's at home right now and I'm not, so I don't have the details.

I believe it's been mentioned here before, and PE expressed his doubts about the viability of the procedure, but I can't find the thread now. If I can find it later I'll post more details...
    Well, I scan so the masks are not a problem for me. Would you remember what developers/times did the publication recommend?

Shooter
    35mm
    As I recall it doesn't recommend a specific b&w developer, it is more geared to what can you do if you've developed this film in *any* b&w developer by mistake.

Point of interest, though, you can probably use stand development and develop it to completion - I like Rodinal 1:200 for 2 hours (agititate first minute, let stand for remainder).
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, my memory failed me a bit - Kodak actually advises to print colour negatives developed in black and white chems as normal, and to not do anything else. They do, however, indicate you can "remove the stain from Kodachrome and Ektachrome films" by making a bleach and processing as follows (for posterity, as this isn't exactly the original question, and I have no idea if this will work at all on colour neg films as I haven't tried it myself). Taken from Kodak publication no: AE-31, published April 1999 (summarizing):

1. Prepare a bleach bath:
    - dissolve 1 ounce (28 g) citric acid in 1 gallon (4L) rapid fixer solution (regular manufacturer's strength for fixing films)

2. Treat the negative(s) in Photo-Flo solution (regular recommended strength) at 75-80 deg. F (24-27 deg. C) for 1 minute.

3. Rinse in water at the same temp as above for 20 sec.

4. Immerse in bleach bath at the same temp as above for 7-14 min. (note: there is no indication in the document exactly when it should be removed - however, the implication is this process removes stain, so my assumption is remove it when the stain is gone. Also, there is no mention of any agitation.). Stop this process if reduction of the silver itself is apparent.

5. Wash the negative(s) thoroughly at the same temp as above.

6. Dry negative(s), remove excess water.

This might be interesting to try on colour neg films just to see what happens.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The stain is the yellow filter which is a type of silver. By bleaching the negative you will also be losing shadow detail in the negative. You know they do make b+w film? You seem to be hunting for a way to process color film in b+w chemistry. Why? It has a tendency to get really ugly.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    The stain is the yellow filter which is a type of silver. By bleaching the negative you will also be losing shadow detail in the negative. You know they do make b+w film? You seem to be hunting for a way to process color film in b+w chemistry. Why? It has a tendency to get really ugly.
    By that token, I should also only use tab grain film, since it's more fine grained, and better yet, switch to digital.:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...and the logic behind that last statement is? Sorry, I don't get it. T-grain and conventional grain films are like first cousins to each other. The have more in common than they have differences. C-41 is very unlike any standard B&W film, more like a relative by marriage.
    Frank Schifano

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin