Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,526   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developing IR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Developing IR

After searching and looking around APUG and eBay, I have finally gotten HIE film. I'm also heading to freestyle to get some Efke IR. I have looked about the web for advice on how to meter and focus for infrared light. A few questions remain unanswered so I figured I would throw them out on APUG.
    1) I know that the film must be handled in complete darkness, but once i get the film in a tank, can I walk into the light so i can see where I am pouring my dev and fix?
    2) My camera is a Canon EOS SLR with one of those pesky grooved pressure plates and a date imprinting hole. To make matters worse, I think it has an IR sprocket counter. Will these two features mess with my film to the point that I will be wasting my money to even load the film in the camera, or do the effects look cool, like an exaggerated halo effect? Also, if the pressure plate is a big issue, how do I work past it? One idea i heard was to cover the pressure plate with the black backing paper from 120 film.
    3) Has anyone here tried to process HIE in Clayton F76+? I asked Lowell Huff what the dev times were and he said to develop as if the film were Tri-X. This seems a bit sketchy to me, even if it comes from Huff. Any Ideas?

Thanks!
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    35mm

theres some HIE developed in ID-11 and shot through a canon ELAN (IR film counter)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    1.) They say that some tanks are not IR safe, however I have yet to encounter a tank that isn't. Jobo tanks advertise they are IR safe in normal daylight. All metal tanks are accepted to be IR safe in normal daylight. Once you get your IR film in a tank you can walk into normal light and process as normal.
    2.) An IR codex reader is a problem for IR film. I would not do it. You can get a 35mm camera from a pawn shop for $20. You can get a brand new Vivitar 35mm camera for $150
    3.) I have not tried to develop in Clayton 76+. I have developed HIE in D76, HC-110, Ilfotec HC, Rodinal, and Adox ATM49. Those worked great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mekeel View Post
    1.)
    2.) An IR codex reader is a problem for IR film. I would not do it. You can get a 35mm camera from a pawn shop for $20. You can get a brand new Vivitar 35mm camera for $150
    3.) I have not tried to develop in Clayton 76+. I have developed HIE in D76, HC-110, Ilfotec HC, Rodinal, and Adox ATM49. Those worked great.
    I have shot quite a bit of IR on my N80, which has an IR frame counter. The extreme edge of the rebate is fogged, usually about 1/2 way through the sprocket holes. I have yet to see any effect on the image area of the film.

I have had good results with HC-110, though some people find it produces unpleasant grain.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well there are a couple of issues here:
    I think some codex readers, that use IR light, are stronger than others. He may or may not experience the exact fogging you do. It may be stronger or it may be weaker.
    The other issue is: I have seen HIE go for $50 a roll on ebay. I don't think it is a good idea to experiment with IR codex readers on such a rare and expensive film and hope for the best.

Jason Mekeel
    Last edited by Jason Mekeel; 12-18-2008 at 10:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added, "and hope for the best."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mekeel View Post
    Well there are a couple of issues here:
    I think some codex readers, that use IR light, are stronger than others. He may or may not experience the exact fogging you do. It may be stronger or it may be weaker.
    The other issue is: I have seen HIE go for $50 a roll on ebay. I don't think it is a good idea to experiment with IR codex readers on such a rare and expensive film and hope for the best.

Jason Mekeel
    Ah, but therein lies the problem. I believe that the other IR films, not of which have as high sensitivity as HIE, aren't plagued by the sprocket counter nearly as much. Also, other IR films have an anti-halo layer, which should help them. I am going to try out the other films because I do not want to waste what HIE I have. My camera is a (relatively inexpensive) Canon EOS K2. I really can't afford a new camera, much less buying in to an entire new lens family, so any help with my current situation would be helpful
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tanks are IR safe, metal or plastic. The process is like any normal b/w film. You can develop in the light once it is loaded.

Not sure about the film counter issue. I guess you'll find out soon enough!

You don't have to load Efke in complete darkness in 120, though you might want to if it is 35mm. The problem is IR-leaky felt on the cassette more than anything else.

The film is just as X-ray safe as any film: as long as it is a carry on X-ray, it is fine, but not checked baggage x-rays. Efke state that the issue of concern is IR fogging through the felt from taking out your cassettes in the light, not X-rays. They say it is better to leave your film in your dark bag and let it be x-rayed than it is to have it visually inspected.

Your Efke IR with a 25 filter will look like a normal pan film with a 25 filter. You need something way heavier to get anything HIE-esque from the Efke. Hoya R72 in a small size seems to be the cheapest.

To use the Efke with an R72 filter, rate it at EI 1.5 at the most, and bracket as if it was even slower. Then I would develop in a speed increasing developer. Bake the hell out of your film. Do not be afraid to overexpose that emulsion! It is slow as molasses, and has about the flattest characteristic curve you will ever see.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-19-2008 at 03:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I managed to buy some HIEs from fotoimpex in Berlin last summer. They were quite expensive (20 euro each) so I decided to master my IR technique with the closest cheaper analog which is Efke.
    I used Canon EOS50 and developed the film in Ilford DDX 10mins @ 20C. Results are as follows:
    - Efke in 35mm format should be loaded and unloaded in complete darkness;
    - there's little or no IR effect with 25 filter. 89B (R72, 007) works great;
    - Efke is not sensitive to radiation from the IR frame counter and bumps on the pressure plate however the date imprinting hole always left a clear mark. Putting some black tape from the back side didn't help a lot as the plate itself is rather thick;
    - with Efke and 89B filter (and DDX - as think this one is considered to be a speed increasing developer) one can fully rely on Canon's TTL metering system in sunny weather but needs to bracket in + when cloudy or in the shadow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    To use the Efke with an R72 filter, rate it at EI 1.5 at the most, and bracket as if it was even slower. Then I would develop in a speed increasing developer.
    This approach clearly works well for some people, but I haven't been that thrilled with it---perhaps it depends on the subject and how extreme an IR "effect" you're looking for, but I've generally liked the results I get from rating it at EI 6-8 (developing in HC-110; I haven't dialled in dev times I like with PC-TEA yet). The Wood effect is obvious, portraiture has the "soft skin and deep dark eyes" IR look, but there isn't an extreme "glow" like HIE.

Souping it in Diafine is interesting, by the way. The IR "look" becomes much more subtle, grain is relatively fine (by IR standards), sharpness is good; I've used this combination to get some landscapes with a subtly-surreal look rather than the over-the-top appearance of many IR landscapes.

It's a fun film to play with; people get a huge variety of desirable results with different approaches to it. Do something totally new and see what happens.

-NT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Your Efke IR with a 25 filter will look like a normal pan film with a 25 filter. You need something way heavier to get anything HIE-esque from the Efke. Hoya R72 in a small size seems to be the cheapest.

To use the Efke with an R72 filter, rate it at EI 1.5 at the most, and bracket as if it was even slower. Then I would develop in a speed increasing developer. Bake the hell out of your film. Do not be afraid to overexpose that emulsion! It is slow as molasses, and has about the flattest characteristic curve you will ever see.
    2F,
    My camera won't let me go lower than EI 6.
    I have seen shots of the Efke film with a 25 filter, and they seem to possess the same amount of IR effect as HIE with a 25.
    David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin