Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,362   Online: 824

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Looking for a 'handmade' FB paper

I am looking for a FB paper that is very 'fibreish'. ie. has a handmade feel and that has a rough edge to it. Or if I was to tear the edges would give my print a rough edge.

Any suggestions?
    photography is an art of expression
    www.nigelharley.co.uk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fotospeed lith is a cream based paper that can be used as a standard printing paper. It can be torn and creased and will take a lot of abuse. You can actually roll up a wet print into a small ball and unfold it again without damaging the emulsion. Here is a sample of a fibre print i made this way.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Find your favorite watercolor paper and apply liquid emulsion or make your own liquid emulsion or try an alternative process like Vandyke, cyanotype, Ziatype, or platinum/palladium.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by monosnaps View Post
    Fotospeed lith is a cream based paper that can be used as a standard printing paper. It can be torn and creased and will take a lot of abuse. You can actually roll up a wet print into a small ball and unfold it again without damaging the emulsion. Here is a sample of a fibre print i made this way.
    How on earth did you find this out?

I treat my prints with as much TLC as I can manage, the thought of scrunching them up just for a laugh to see what effects its might have has never crossed my mind

Martin

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    How on earth did you find this out? ... the thought of scrunching them up just for a laugh to see what effects its might have has never crossed my mind ...
    Mural paper used to be that way, designed to take the abuse from handling large soggy sheets of paper.

I think the suggestion to use liquid emulsion on a paper with the surface you want is the best way to get a hand made look - that is - to hand make it.

C

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way, what toning etc was used to get that lovely print color? Very appropriate for that image.

C

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Fomatone 542 and 532 are the closest thing to what you're asking for that I've seen, same surface texture, but 542 has a warmer base tint. Unfortunately they are discontinued, but you might be able to find stocks if you search around.

There are "II" versions of both papers. Not tried any yet, but from what I've heard they have a smoother texture so probably not as good for your requirements.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have hand coated emulsion on velour, watercolor, smooth and canvas among others. Part of the trick is to coat on a paper with no baryta layer. That is what will crack more easily when you subject it to stres.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I believe Bergger Fine Art Portrait (Silver Supreme) is what you are looking for. Thick and has a textured watercolour paper feel to it. The only one that has survived.

An interesting way to add texture to Fotospeed Lith...revelation!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all. This is my Christmas project. I agree ref the liquid emulsion route for the ultimate hand-made route - but I will not achieve the density ranges I am looking for. A project for another day though. My ultimate aim is a handmade book of a portfolio of my prints.

Merry Christmas
    photography is an art of expression
    www.nigelharley.co.uk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin