Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,319   Online: 964

View Poll Results: What is your favorite film developer?

Voters
312. You may not vote on this poll
  • D-76/ID-11

44 14.10%
  • HC-110

30 9.62%
  • XTOL

33 10.58%
  • Rodinol

67 21.47%
  • Microdol-X

4 1.28%
  • PMK Pyro

31 9.94%
  • Pyrocat HD

35 11.22%
  • Other

68 21.79%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach

No kidding!! - You develop slow black and white film in plain water? I thought I was being cheap!! What times are you using?
    Gee, do you think that explains why my slow films are _really, really_ slow?
    It's easy to mix anyway :wink:
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    PMK for 4x5 (will try Pyrocat soon) For Accutance and tonality
    DiXactol for MF - (will try Pyrocat soon) For Accutance and tonality with finer grain
    Microdol X for 35mm - Because I might blow it up past 8x10

Some special films require D76 - like infrared and high speed films - Others - Tech Pan require TD3 and I often use Split D23 for rolls shot with uncertainty (old cameras with dubious exposures)
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a Pyromaniac myself.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi montysano -

yup ansco 130 for film - it used to be marketed as a universal developer. film 1:5 - 68º - 6 1/2 mins - agitate. i tend to use it 1:5 ( or if it is older 1:4) @ 72º .. and i "inspect" it at about 7 mins. if you like how your prints look with it, film looks nice - wide tonal range, fine &c ..

try it sometime, i did, and haven't used anything since

-john

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I am an Ilford Perceptol loyalist. In my experience it produces etchings rather than negatives. I have never seen grain with it, just sharp line detail. I use it on any b/w film I shoot from 400 speed and slower.

My favorite camera/film/develpoer combo is my Plaubel Veriwide (older model with 6x10 format) / Ilford Delta 400 Pro / Perceptol. I can make 24 inch wide prints from 120 film with no apparent grain. It is an awsome developer that I caution other people away from, so there will be more for me.
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ilfotec DDX - One size fits all, liquid, one-shot. I switched over from Ilfosol-S when Ilford started recommending it across the board for their films. I do prefer it to Ilfosol... ...just don't ask me why or I'll whimper!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Agreed with veriwide on the Delta 400/Perceptol combo--really beautiful tonality and nice grain in a 400-speed film. I'd use it more if it came in sheet sizes.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Would you share your perceptol/Delta 400 processing (EI & times). I have some 5x7 Delta 400 sitting in my freezer and you have picqued my interest in this combination.

- Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

XTol for everything because I like to work with the best, from a german labor test!
    XTol is very dangerous and is not for every one, but some people asked me on a exibition, if my pictures are made from MF? But they have been 35mm 400 ASA film!
    So to keep it simple I work from 35mm-4x5 with XTol!!
    So take it only if you want the best!;-)))
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As the forecast here is for snow this weekend, I will shift gears and do my annual testing of a couple new materials. I am going to be working with Pyrocat-HD and Perceptol. I am looking forward to trying the Pyrocat and have read very good things about it. I have also read pretty good praise for perceptol with Delta 400 from David Goldfarb and others so I will be comparing it to Xtol and Xtol/Rodinal combinations. So I may have to resubmit my poll answers later this winter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin