Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,518   Online: 1027

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not quite all the Formulae could be checked, as sources weren't available. Of course there may be a very small number of errors but far far less than in the past editions etc, and previous US books of Formulae. One problem is that Typesetters introduce new errors

Certainly any errors I spotted were backed up with references to the correct sources, ie official Agfa/Ansco, Ilford, Kodak etc publications. Many Lab Index errors are with the type of Sulphite & Carbonate used, and incorrect conversions between Anhydrous, Crystalline etc.

So the 3rd Ed of the DCB is probably the most accurate book for Formulae so far, since WWII, but there are still minor errors which Steve will list on the website.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I like Kodak Dektol and a rapid fix and buying packaged
    products are killing me these days. thanks Bob
    Consider Beer's and Adams' version of Ansco 130.
    Both are contrast control developers. Beer's I know
    will allow a grade or better control. I've not tried Ansco's
    Adams' version but likely it will do as well. Both add a
    hydroquinone component for increased contrast.

Beer's is frugal in it's use of chemistry. Dan

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Dan

I take it that you are talking about the two bath dev, for contrast control. Les McLean is still using a double dev and has been pushing me to try it.

Unfortunately 1/2 my fibre printing these days is mural size and Harmon Digital Fibre which is a red sensitive emulsion so all processing is in the dark.
    For single images I think the control would be amazing but in complete darkness with large sheets of paper 30inch x 60 inch, the transitions from dev to stop/fix is critical and delicate. Introducing a third tray in the dark may be a bit more than I could handle. I would need a second set of hands to minimise damage on the larger prints.

With the digital wet prints, making slight contrast adjustments are time consuming as though the Lambda has a curve for this adjustment it is basic and like a sledgehammer on a finishing nail, finetuning is better in the L channel which means leaving the darkroom, going back to the original print file make the changes , reload to the Lambda and then rehit. When all the chems are mixed and ready to go this is a pain in the ass adjustment to do and if you are working on multiple images running back and forth can kill the day. maybe just a longer time in the soft dev or longer in the hard dev would do the trick as most of the time the contrast adjustment is very little.
    Thanks for the suggestion I will give one of these devs a try and hopefully add it to my weapon list.

I think my main area of need now is a rapid fix which I can easily mix to large working solutions.
    I never reuse my chems so each day is a challange to set up my trays with fresh chemicals so I not only am looking for a great combination that works with my current workflow, but as well it must be easily mixed from a stock solution.
    I thought with a 40ft sink I would be in good shape but I need a extra 20ft for toning purposes. You cannot imagine how labour intensive doing a full print run from exposure to final tone in one day is like. Any way to save time though seemingly insignificant adds up in a big way.

People make fun of my orange jumpsuit, but it saves my wife killing me when I get home with ruined clothes.
    All suggestions are greatly appreciated about simple chemical mixtures as this is not a strong area for me in my printing knowledge.

best regards

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    Consider Beer's and Adams' version of Ansco 130.
    Both are contrast control developers. Beer's I know
    will allow a grade or better control. I've not tried Ansco's
    Adams' version but likely it will do as well. Both add a
    hydroquinone component for increased contrast.

Beer's is frugal in it's use of chemistry. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, I'll send you all the information in the next day or so with a fixer that will work well in you processing machine or in large trays, I've used it for 16ft by 4 ft images, and larger

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thanks Ian

No processing machine just large trays.

though I did think of making the worlds largest dip and dunk machine for fibre prints and large film production, but I will leave those plans for the next big adventure.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Bob, I'll send you all the information in the next day or so with a fixer that will work well in you processing machine or in large trays, I've used it for 16ft by 4 ft images, and larger

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, I have a copy of Kodak publication J-1, which has formulae for many of Kodak's developers. I think it was printed in 1977, but it has D-72 among other paper developers, fixers, toners, etc. I can scan it and email a copy to you if you want it.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Thomas
    I would appreciate that..

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's about 6MB scanned. I'll email it in a couple of minutes.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    J-1 can be downloaded from here. It's a bit more than 6mb more loke 20 but it's a high quality PDF

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Ian,

Don't really need High quality for any of this. As long as you can read the text... But it's a great link for those that want to download it. Since it's published by Kodak it's pretty much guaranteed to be accurate too.

From reading it: Elon = metol, correct?

- Thomas

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin