Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,770   Online: 939

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Help Ian G once again

I hope Ian see this as last year he gave me some wonderful chemical breakdowns for some various toning and I know want to mix from scratch Dev, Rapid Fix*non hardening* and hypo clearing agent.

I usually work in 8 litre, 16 litre to 25 litre working solutions*yes I know big trays* so if anyone has any formulas that would help me along I would appreciate it.

I like Kodak Dektol and a rapid fix and buying packaged products are killing me these days.

thanks
    Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bob,

Dektol is essentially D-72.

I imagine you could just use sodium sulfite as a hypo clearing agent.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the Darkroom Cookbook by Anchell. Lots of recipes in there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Get the Darkroom Cookbook by Anchell. Lots of recipes in there.
    Just back from the wonderful Greek city of Athens, where we saw the battle-scars and the riot police in action just feet away . . . . here's some initial comments.

Along with a couple of others I cross-checked as many of the DCB formulae as I could with Steve for the 3rd Edition. Unfortunately virtually all US publications took formulae from publications like the Photo Lab Index's which are riddled with errors and these errors have been repeated in numerous publications

We checked where we could with the original manufacturers publications and found a significant errors, these are scientific formulae not recipes and accuracy is more important.

While D-72 = Dektol in practice, the commercial formula for Dektol will almost certainly vary slightly. I'm far more familiar with how liquid PQ developers are re-formulated using different alkali's to allow higher concentrations and more economic manufacturing costs.

The formula linked to isn't 100% correct as Kodak themselves state the Metol as 3.1g and the KBr as 1.9g in Professional publications,

An effective HCA is just a 1%-2% Sodium Sulphite solution, that's all that's needed. There are various formulae for Kodak Rapid fixer, it's evolved over the years, I'll PM you Bob.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 12-27-2008 at 03:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ........... Unfortunately virtually all US publications took formulae from publications like the Photo Lab Index's which are riddled with errors and these errors have been repeated in numerous publications.....................
    You're not kidding! I bought the Photo Lab Index in the late 1960s or early 1970s and the briefest glance from an inexperienced photographer revealed countless obvious errors. What a debacle! I could never understand how it came to be popular.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D-72 = Dektol.

The major differences are minor. Dektol is packaged in such a way that the HQ and Metol are protected from being destroyed by oxygen, and there is a sequestrant in the prepackaged version. The last formula I saw used Quadrofos.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    You're not kidding! I bought the Photo Lab Index in the late 1960s or early 1970s and the briefest glance from an inexperienced photographer revealed countless obvious errors. What a debacle! I could never understand how it came to be popular.
    Unfortunately many US writers/photographers thought and a few still think it's accurate, and Silvergrain/Ruyuki Sukuzi is one of the worst culprits, when he quotes formulae correctly I might try and spell his name correctly too.

Ian

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look in: www.apug.org/forums/articles.php for the formulae you need.

C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, Ian...you're saying that the 3rd edition of DRC would have very accurate formulas in it?

I had been thinking about picking this up...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    So, Ian...you're saying that the 3rd edition of DRC would have very accurate formulas in it?

I had been thinking about picking this up...
    Found my copy under the tree. AFAIK, there are no errors, however, Steve Anchell has a spot on his website for any errors that come up:
    http://www.steveanchell.com/index.ph...owcat&catid=19

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin